MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: DNS Blackhole List?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was wondering if myBB has a DNS Blackhole List feature built-in or something, as I find it to be a useful feature (at least it was in phpBB). I am missing where it is or something?
if I understand properly you want to stop something correct?
What's a DNS Blackhole list?
Yeah, what exactly is a DNS blackhole list? Do you mean like block IP address'?
I think he means to disallow user to register with some DNS like trash-mail.com or another trashmail domain.
Yeah, because there is a switch in phpBB where it checks websites for lists that contain know spammers/bots that will only cause trouble to forums.

Here is a picture of that option in phpBB:

[Image: blackholelist.png]
You could try asking the author (Or somone else) to port it to MyBB for you.
Yeah, I should, because on phpBB it saved me from receiving hundreds of spam accounts (they quickly filled up in the Inactive Users section).
(2009-10-22, 10:33 PM)dmaxel Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, I should, because on phpBB it saved me from receiving hundreds of spam accounts (they quickly filled up in the Inactive Users section).

Easy enough to delete inactive accounts with my Prune Members plugin. You run the risk of losing members imho with a blacklist that can often give you false positives.

On my forums I do use the "banned emails" section to disallow many of the more obvious temp mail places like 10minutemail.com. If you want my current list let me know. It's about 20 providers of temp email domains.
I built a plugin around the StopForumSpam (http://www.stopforumspam.com) database. Its a list of user submitted IPs, emails and usernames of those that have spammed contributor forums. Contributors to the list need to get their sites approved and are given an API Key that lets them submit spammer info.

Its a pretty good list and has blocked most spammer registrations.

My plugin stores the SFS blacklist on my server in the database and registrations are checked against the cached data and if the denial criteria is met, the registration is denied. If not, it can contact the SFS website via CURL and check against the latest data. So CURL and PHP XML parser are needed

A nightly MyBB task is run that downloads the previous days SFS submissions, so your local cache is never more than one day out of date.

Admins can set an AND/OR flag and enabled one or more of the criteria (IP, email and username) as well as specify how many times each criteria must be found in the list in order to be denied.

I'd release it but I've got some issues with the install of the existing SFS data. When I first built the plugin last year, the SFS database was not very large. It is now very big and I can not load the entire thing in a single pass anymore. If I can figure out a way to get the 230,000+ records (over 15MB) of data from the CSV export from the SFS site to the users site and then imported into the database, that would let me release this plugin.

It will also track the number of attempts each blocked IP, email and username tries to register along with first and last timestamp

There is also an option to submit user data to SFS via admin section banning page (with 2 lines added to a core file) after getting your own API Key.

If some has some ideas on how to deal with the large data transfer issue, I could release the plugin.