MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB vs phpBB, Invision, vBulletin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is MyBB faster-running than a phpBB/Invision/vBulletin?
Processing times are a hard character to judge. It depends on the load of the server when you're opening the pages (as it may change).

I really haven't had the chance to test MyBB out in comparison to free products such as phpBB and InvisionBoard because its not high on my priorities at the moment - and with VBulletin, its hard for me to do the comparison and speed tests as that would require a license.

I would imagine the load times are quite similar to these other discussion systems, but as of right now I am unable to provide proper statistics on this.
if you could one day, it might draw more people to myBB (provided the statistics are in you favour Wink )
DennisTT Wrote:Is MyBB faster-running than a phpBB/Invision/vBulletin?
Hmm.... that's hard to say, since I've used all of them listed, and they have the same speed (to me).
I've ran all of these forum software............

MyBB vs. vBulletin 3.0.x: vBulletin 3 is slow when it comes to hacking your forum, i have the same number of hacks on my MyBB forum as the vBulletin forum. MyBB really hasn't slowed down, even with the 12 hacks installed.

MyBB vs. phpBB: Its really hard to say, loading time they both are around the same. phpBB lacks things needed by most webmasters.

MyBB vs. Invision: I just came from Invision power board, IPB uses alot more power on most servers and sometimes slowed down with only 3 hacks installed.
Chris Boulton Wrote:I really haven't had the chance to test MyBB out in comparison to free products such as phpBB and InvisionBoard because its not high on my priorities at the moment - and with VBulletin, its hard for me to do the comparison and speed tests as that would require a license.

I have a latest vBulletin license if you ever wanted to do a test. I have no clue what to do but I'm sure you can make something up, heh.
Hi. I've been looking through your site, and I was wondering, what are the real benefits to running MyBB instead of IkonBoard? I'm thinking of making a forum soon, but I'm sort of undecided on what to pick.
Ikonboard is a Perl based discussion system that uses flat files for storage. MyBB on the other hand uses PHP, and the MySQL database backend for storage.

Generally with MySQL over flat files you're forums will be running quicker and more efficiently. PHP also seems to be becoming "the way of the web", and becoming very popular in the "discussion board realm" as the accepted and dominant language to program a forum in.

Most importantly, your choice is yours. Whatever you decide it has to be because it meets your requirements, and performs how you want it to perform.
Ah, thanks for the response! Is the forum easy to skin?
yes. All you have to do is create a new set of template (can be done very quickly), create a new theme (quickly also), edit 4 files: css template, themes options, and two images, then apply it. You can also export it so other can use it (if you export, you may want to edit the footer template and out your name on it). This process usually takes around 45mins, depend how good you are choosing colors.

Do you want a step by step guide??
Pages: 1 2