MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Legal Action/Webmaster's Rights
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi,

I have recently set up a MyBB forum which has gone pretty well and I have a good selection of members. However, I had to ban a member for posting inappropriate messages, off topic etc...

I took the action to ban this member and block their IP address. I have had some emails from this user saying they will take legal action against me.

So I was wondering what rights admin's had, and if the member actually has a case? I have rules on the forum and also the default ones from MyBB.

Has anyone else had issues like this?

Thanks for your time.
If the user did wrong Im not sure he can take legal action against you. You have set rules, he got banned, simple as that. (Or at least it should be)
Its your board, your places. As long as he broke a rule, tell him you will meet him in court, and counter sue for wasting your time.
He is a child. Ignore him.
I wouldn't! Take him to court! He wants that!
I'm pretty sure you can ban without a reason actually, it's your site Toungue.
I get this type of thing all the time, in the past on previous boards people would say they'll call the police, call their Lawyer or Detective Buddy, FBI, or even George W. Bush.

It's just all in the moment scare tactics. There's nothing to be concerned about.

Your site, you have every right to ban the users.

If it makes you feel better, add into your site's policy:

"We reserve the right to terminate any user account that we believe have violated our rules, policy, or anyone's safety on the board."

Even add that in upon the registration agreement page.

That should cover you.
Hey, they agree to the terms and conditions when they register. They know the rules and thus have no legs to stand on.
Websites = Private Property = No rights for guests/users.
Cheers for the responses.

I just thought I'd double check. No doubt it is just a silly threat but I thought I should double check.

As long as I feel I have nothing to worry about Smile
Pages: 1 2 3