MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Any way to ban a hostmask?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So lately I've been getting about 2-3 bots daily on my forum from this hostmask:
ABTS-mum-Dynamic-xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.airtelbroadband.in

I wanted to ask: Is there any way in myBB, via the IP banning feature or via a plugin to actually ban a hostmask?
If I'd try to ban ABTS-mum-Dynamic or *.airtelbroadband.in on the IP Ban field would it work?

Thanks in advance
(2009-10-23, 09:31 AM)bositman Wrote: [ -> ]So lately I've been getting about 2-3 bots daily on my forum from this hostmask:
ABTS-mum-Dynamic-xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.airtelbroadband.in

I wanted to ask: Is there any way in myBB, via the IP banning feature or via a plugin to actually ban a hostmask?
If I'd try to ban ABTS-mum-Dynamic or *.airtelbroadband.in on the IP Ban field would it work?

Thanks in advance

While I do not think you can use hostnames/hostmasks in the default MyBB banning, what you can do is get the ip range and ban that.

To get the ip range here's what I do:
If hostmask: ABTS-mum-Dynamic-aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd.airtelbroadband.in
IP will be: ddd.ccc.bbb.aaa

Go to: http://tools.whois.net/whoisbyip/
and enter the above IP address. On the results page scroll down to the inetnum field and use that to determine the range to ban, usually you'll end up banning ddd.ccc.*.*
Problem is the IPs are totally different. If the first 6 digits where the same and the rest variable I would have done this already...