MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Install Fail!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hey,
I'm a total noob when it comes to all this but i've been trying to read up an a lot of thing and i have been following instructions closely. I setup a host server and have a domain. i unzipped upload folder and transfered files to server via filezilla. I than made the permission changes to the files as described in the MyBB Wiki. I thought i'd be ready to do www.yoursite.com/install , but oparently not. I've tried www.yoursite.com/install/index.php www.yoursite.com/forum/install/index.php...etc.
i have uploaded the mybb files like 3 times to the server hoping that i'd be OK if i just follow the instructions.
Then i came accross this info about SQL in the wiki:
Installing MyBB on mySQL 4.0.x
To be able to install MyBB on mySQL 4.0.x, you need to make an alteration to a file first before running the installation script. This is a workaround, and not an alternative - mySQL 4.0 has already reached it's end of life so you really should upgrade as soon as possible.

In ./inc/db_mysql.php, delete/remove or comment out:

if($success && $this->db_encoding)
{
$this->query("SET NAMES '{$this->db_encoding}'");
if($write_success && count($this->connections) > 1)
{
$this->write_query("SET NAMES '{$this->db_encoding}'");
}
}
return $success;and also:

return " CHARACTER SET {$this->db_encoding} COLLATE {$collation}";This will allow you to install MyBB. If you have any problems, please report them at the Community Forum.

My problem is i have no clue what that means. I really don't know how to modify php files. Is there a certain program that let's you do that? I'm getting prettty frustrated with all this. i didn't think it would be this difficult...lol. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
I've edited the file for you.

Attached ./inc/db_mysql.php (edited)
Ok cool! but before i do anything...lol...i need to download file and relace this one with the old file right? do i need to get rid of the old file first or will it replace the file when i upload this one to the server? Thanks for editing the file for be pal . i'll let you know if it works now
It should ask you; if you want to overwrite the old file. Just press 'yes' =P
Or if you dont want that; you can delete the old file from your webspace first and then upload the edited file =P
ok i replaced teh file with new one. It still won't let me initiate install. i get 404 forbidden message. Is there something else i need to do? I guess i'm not really sure what SQL is but i setup a table in the server that's, does that sound right?
Can you PM me the link to your forum ?
Thanks you so much for all your help leX! I contacted my host server like you told me and oparently i deleted the main domain folder on the server, therefore i was unable to do anything. I now created my domain in FTP manager "again" so that it will show on the server. Now i just have to wait 24 hours again before changes will take effectSad. i am really hoping this will fix everything. Thank you so much for your help! And for the file you amended. BTW, how did you change the myBB_SQL file. Just wondering. I'll post again with updates. Did i say thank you yet?Big Grin Later[/i]
Personally I'd find a host with newer versions of things, I wouldn't want to sign up to a host still using MySQL 4.0.x... the wiki even says it's past it's end of life and isn't really recommended to be used. It's a bit like buying a brand new laptop with Windows 2000, it'd old and unsupported. I don't think 1.6 will support it either so you'd have to move hosts then if the host doesn't upgrade in time.
says i have 5.1 am i good then?
ok the myBB welcome message come up now but when iclick on next it says page not found?!?....grrr. Any idea anyone?