MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Posts to Static HTML
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a very large forum migrating to mybb. They get slammed every so often (book release dates do that lol) and as much as I love mybb I don't think it can handle the load plus the people at the same time. Not because of the sofware itself just the mass people etc.

So I'm considering a plugin for them that Has a task that runs every week or so that would take old threads (I suggest anything after 3 months of no activity) and create a static html page for them and delete the entries from the database

There are several problems with this in my mind.

1. They are no longer search-able via the search function on the boards.
2. We would have to link them in somehow
3. This might bog down the server at the time the task runs depending on how many things it has to take care of.

This is not a request for someone to make it. I'm trying to find all the pitfalls in this as a user and as a programmer before thinking this is a viable option. Can you think of anything else that might pose a problem with a system like this?
An Auto Prune plugin? I think its made. By KuJoe Or Labrroca. One of the two has one. One of them is for posts. KDE also made one.. .http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3241 Thats to delete.
no not auto prune. I don't want them completely gone I want to archive them with out the database pulling information on them.
Loading single html files for each post will more than likely put more strain on the server than the exisiting database query.
Yeah but these old files aren't gong to be used much, they are just that archives. The purpose behind this is not to eliminate them from the "archives" but to reduce the amount of data the heavy traffic days pull down the whole site.

if we reduce the number of entries the queries have to sift threw then the load should be less. These pages I would be for those ppl who are looking for old data, old threads they made or found funny.

The clients users are big on keeping things around. I understand one subsection of it as they like to keep old role playing threads around as posterity for their characters, but other section I don't see the point. But none-the-less they don't want to lose them.

Please correct me if this logic is not correct, but those static pages aren't going to be used by most everyone, removing them from the database lowers the load on the database.
Wouldn't it be better to use some sort of caching application in front of MyBB?
Possibly, we are looking at variable options right now. Recommendations are welcome.