MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: My design not my forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Could you please post a download link to the font of the logo or at least the name?

Thanks, Smile
(2009-10-27, 08:04 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Very true but it's completely intentional. I try to make themes that are purely css and images based. This ensures higher compability with plugins and future mybb updates. Nothing worse than complex template changes that break plugins, don't validate, and screw up functions of mybb. It's actually a very common problem.

I'm used to plugins that only edits or add stuff to postbits or some link to the navigation, so I leave those things with the same HTML structure. Probably I never thought about something bigger, but anyways, I prefer to end up making some ajustments, but that's me.

Quote:When working for a client you have to think what will please them. It's rare a client will say "make me whatever you want" and then actually like it. They somehow manage to always want adjustments many times ones you don't agree with. Being a designer isn't always easy.

Actually, I've came accross quite a number of clients which say things like "Surprise me", "I want a unique theme", or "Do you what you consider nice", that's open for whatever. Usually they like the first concept I give them, but some others need adjustments as you say. That's why I give them just a general concept of the theme, so I don't have to go over everything if they don't like the concept at all (which thankfully haven't happened yet).

In the other hand though, I've had clients which are very specific about what they want, which I prefer by much.
Quote:Could you please post a download link to the font of the logo or at least the name?

I didn't make the logo. Ask at their site.

Quote:I'm used to plugins that only edits or add stuff to postbits or some link to the navigation, so I leave those things with the same HTML structure.

I think those adjustments are best done after the theme is installed on a per forum basis depending on the needs.

I get clients on both spectrums too that give me strong direction. Sometimes it's easier but other times it's not. Really it depends on the forum topic I guess. Something like leet coders can go so many ways that I prefer to have a direction. While a site like HorseForums.com would be more obvious which direction to go and I would opt to have earthy brown tones.

Much of creating a good theme is getting the color scheme right. I don't just change one or two styles either. I pretty much change them all. Even stuff like select and textarea tags. I am pretty adept now with mybb. Also for black backgrounds you have to replace every image as the regular ones have white pixels around them. I already have a complete set ready to use for dark backgrounds which I created soon after 1.4x was released.

I'll probably make an all-out theme soon where it won't even be recognizable as MyBB. I already have an idea on what I am going to do. It's mainly just to show what's possible with MyBB than to actually pesonally use it. I don't want people to think I ain't got skills.
Quote:I'll probably make an all-out theme soon where it won't even be recognizable as MyBB. I already have an idea on what I am going to do. It's mainly just to show what's possible with MyBB than to actually pesonally use it. I don't want people to think I ain't got skills.

You don't have to prove anything to anyone, you're very respected by everyone using MyBB. And we know you've got a load of skills for everything related with MyBB (from developing to managing communities, and everything between) and more.

But it's always nice to have new fresh themes around Smile
Quote:You don't have to prove anything to anyone

Maybe a bit to myself then. And imho no matter how skilled you are...you can always be better.
Its quite nice, I hope to start coding themes one day.
(2009-10-27, 09:10 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]And imho no matter how skilled you are...you can always be better.

That's a fact. We're always learning and making ourselves better (even if we don't want to, which is unlikely)
I would make the thead links lighter.
I might be biased since my favorite color combination is black and red. But honestly I really really like it! Nice one there for a dark theme, you did a good job. They could have done something better for the logo though but you did good anyway and that makes up for it.
No i'm actually not tying to kiss lime, you actually should make more. People may buy subs, if you have some themes aswell.
Pages: 1 2 3