MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [Tip&Trick] Show the Topic Lists on no permissions forums.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This small edit will allwow you to show the topic lists inside all your forums that you have denied access to different usergroups to enter them.

i.e. say, you have a forum/forums that you want to deny access to guests for ex, but you want them to see it/them, you would simply disallow them access at the permissions and then at the Configuration-Forum Home Options, you would set the Hide Private Forums? to No. So anytime a guest that clicks at that forum will get the no permission error.

But personally I would like to take it a step further. I want them to be able to see all the topics inside that forum, so they know what they are missing on. To do that find the following code at forumdisplay.php file:

if($fpermissions['canview'] != 1)
{
	error_no_permission();
}

And change it to:

if($fpermissions['canview'] != 1 && $thread['tid'])
{
	error_no_permission();
}

Now all the usergroups that don''t have permissions at certain forums, will be able to see all the topics inside that particular forum, but not the posts themselves.
I have always wondered about that as it was one of the things I missed from IPB. Thankx babjusi Smile
thanks
Awesome. Thanks for sharing. This is very useful.
(2009-10-29, 09:11 PM)Riddle Wrote: [ -> ]I have a question will this enable guest and whoever to see inside the Mod/Admin lounge?

They can see, but not the posts. So they can see the posts "Joe goes to england" But not read it.
(2009-10-29, 08:22 PM)that_guy Wrote: [ -> ]I have always wondered about that as it was one of the things I missed from IPB. Thankx babjusi Smile

You ar welcome. Glad you liked it.

(2009-10-29, 09:18 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]Awesome. Thanks for sharing. This is very useful.

Thanks for your feedback, appreciate it.

(2009-10-29, 09:11 PM)Riddle Wrote: [ -> ]I have a question will this enable guest and whoever to see inside the Mod/Admin lounge?

All the usergroups that don''t have permissions to see a certain board or boards, will be able to see only the topic list but not the posts inside the topics.
nice trick Babjusi. As usual you're great Wink

this trick good for guest to see No Permission Error (without loggin in)

And there is another trick (built-in) which show statistic like total thread/post/last post from The Private Forum (hidden).

After set the Hide Private Forums to No (as Babjusi suggest)

Go to Admin Panel - Forums & Posts
Then Choose Forum/Sub Forum (you want to set as private)
At Permissions tab, there is custom setting.
And for this case is Guest (Not Loggin in) setting
Go to right, set the custom EDIT PERMISSIONS
Find and check Can view threads within forum?

Done!
Your guest will see there is active thread/post within those forum/category on Main Index Forum, like total thread/posts and latest post. But, still your guest cannot access it, and Login Form will display Wink

goodluck
This is fantastic to say the least. Thank you so much!
Thank you, this is cool.
Thanks guys. Glad you liked it Smile
Pages: 1 2 3