MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB Goal Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have been with vB for a few years.

But since that time the software has become more and more bloated with features I did not want and do not use. Now, with the change in ownership and the new price and policy beginning with vB 4.0 I am totally frustrated. The pricing has become absurd.

So my question is, does MyBB intend to stay forum software with maybe the ability to add a CMS, Blogs, etc, or does it plan to follow the vB direction of becoming social networking software over forum?

I ask because when my current vB 3.8.2 hits the point of issues with security and/or compatibility with servers, I am strongly leaning to MyBB.

One thing I did note that my users find desirable is being able to categorize smiles. We have a LOT of smiles.

Any answers or comments appreciated. Wink
The MyBB team's stated that MyBB is forum software. That's what it is and that's what it shall remain. It's not trying to be vB and will never claim to be Big Grin
(2009-10-29, 05:16 PM)Buttons Wrote: [ -> ]The MyBB team's stated that MyBB is forum software. That's what it is and that's what it shall remain. It's not trying to be vB and will never claim to be Big Grin

Thank you! That is what I wanted to hear.
On the subject of blogs, there is a few running projects for plugins, but naturally they are up to you! Big Grin
If you want those features i think Lennart made a CMS one, and there are a few blog ones.
Yep, we are a forum software group so we'll develop forum software. I don't see why we should, in effect, waste time writing a blog when it would be much better to make a plugin to integrate with WordPress, which (and this isn't anything negative against the devs Toungue) is probably a hell of a lot better than what we'd be able to produce.
There is a MyBB Modifications Team that will be designing some "most-wanted" plugins and supporting them officially here at MyBBoard. You never know what might pop up... Shy
(2009-10-29, 08:34 PM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]There is a MyBB Modifications Team that will be designing some "most-wanted" plugins and supporting them officially here at MyBBoard. You never know what might pop up... Shy

The elipsis ending a sentance is starting to anger me!
What are you working on!
Simply just look at my signature... tempting huh? lol
(2009-10-29, 09:09 PM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]The elipsis ending a sentance is starting to anger me!
What are you working on!

I visited Ryan's secret lair at the weekend to discuss these plans. He really has 19 tentacles, and an army of minions scouring millions of lines of code.

Seriously, after things like work and exams are coming to an end, MyBB will be getting a little busier. The Modifications Team can get a few good plugins finished, and work on 1.6 can be polished off for you all to enjoy. Then comes 2.0 - which of course is so secret, the whole entire universe would collapse into a shoe box if it discussed in public.
Pages: 1 2 3