MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Ryan G's Mods And Plugins - Updated for 1.4!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2005-11-23, 01:33 AM)Kodaks Wrote: [ -> ]Good idea for a mod, but I believe there are certain laws in the US that say you must tell your users that the private message system may no longer be "private". An update in your site's privacy policy is also mandatory with the installation of this mod.

I know this is an old post, however, I'd like to know what the laws are and what states require it? I'm running into an issue where my coworkers are resisting installing this mod because of ethical and legal concerns.

We have a problem of users discussing illegal software and how to get it in the PM's. I want to find the users and boot them but need the PM to gather the info I need.

Any feedback or points to other threads where this has already been discussed would be much appreciated.

cv
There is no law, at least not in the USA. If someone doesn't agree with it, tough luck for them, since you run the website, provide it's maintenance, it's upkeep and pay the bills they have no say or decision on what you can implement on "you're website". Tell them if they want to help pay the bill, then they can call the decisions.

As long as nothing illegal is taking place on the forum such as warez or anything else considered illegal there is nothing that can be done. Enabling administrators to review private messages isn't illegal in the USA no matter how much anyone complains as it does not contain any personally identifiable information such as credit card numbers, their names, addresses,, bank account etc...

If someone is foolish to put that information in their private messages, then that is their fault. PM Admin is only meant for administrators to review private messages of individual who use the PM system to get around the board rules.

PM's should only be reviewed if an administrator receives a report of something illegal or rule breaking taking place via PM.

Also there is no law saying you have to even inform users that administrators can review private messages, since as said above private messages to not or are not supposed to contain any personally identifiable information that can compromise someones identity.
(2008-09-22, 06:47 PM)Xtreme2damax Wrote: [ -> ]There is no law, at least not in the USA. If someone doesn't agree with it, tough luck for them, since you run the website, provide it's maintenance, it's upkeep and pay the bills they have no say or decision on what you can implement on "you're website". Tell them if they want to help pay the bill, then they can call the decisions.

As long as nothing illegal is taking place on the forum such as warez or anything else considered illegal there is nothing that can be done. Enabling administrators to review private messages isn't illegal in the USA no matter how much anyone complains as it does not contain any personally identifiable information such as credit card numbers, their names, addresses,, bank account etc...

If someone is foolish to put that information in their private messages, then that is their fault. PM Admin is only meant for administrators to review private messages of individual who use the PM system to get around the board rules.

PM's should only be reviewed if an administrator receives a report of something illegal or rule breaking taking place via PM.

Also there is no law saying you have to even inform users that administrators can review private messages, since as said above private messages to not or are not supposed to contain any personally identifiable information that can compromise someones identity.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks for the confirmation.
(2008-09-22, 10:21 PM)cvtrig Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-09-22, 06:47 PM)Xtreme2damax Wrote: [ -> ]There is no law, at least not in the USA. If someone doesn't agree with it, tough luck for them, since you run the website, provide it's maintenance, it's upkeep and pay the bills they have no say or decision on what you can implement on "you're website". Tell them if they want to help pay the bill, then they can call the decisions.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks for the confirmation.

Well to be honest I'm not exactly sure myself, but as far as I know there is no law stating this. I think the privacy laws fall into effect when it comes to personally identifiable information.

However laws in other countries are different, but as long as the server is on US soil it falls under US laws. If you need definite confirmation on it, phone up a lawyer and see if you are required by law to do this.

As I see it, you shouldn't have to do this and I don't believe the law states that you need to. However while it may not be the law, it's still good administration practice to inform users of any changes such as the one we are discussing.
Great to see, thanks. Smile
I'm using the site news plugin, but bbcode isn't parsing and special characters aren't displayed well. You can see my problem here. I'm using the latest version.
BBCode parsing was fixed in the latest version
I'm using the latest version!
I fixed it myself by inserting this piece of code above the code where the message is parsed.
			$parser_options = array(
				'allow_mycode' => 1,
				'allow_smilies' => 0,
				'allow_imgcode' => 1
			);		
It would be great if we can have a feature of auto deleting / pruning from task manager. Is there anyway?

Thx