MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Stuck on importing posts (phpBB3)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello everyone. I've got a big problem.

I am importing all the data from phpBB3. But when I get to the part where I'm supposed to import all the posts, the merge system gets stuck and I can't get it to work again.

I have already imported everything else, except posts and attachments. I have 6000+ posts, and the merge system gets stuck on the second page of importing posts with the message: "Inserting post #909". It just stands there doing nothing. Undecided

I tried refreshing the page when I got bored, and found out that the /convert/index.php now gives nothing, an empty page. So, I've dropped the db, and started all over again. Installed, configured, uploaded /convert/, imported everything from scratch. I've figured there was something wrong with the import, maybe due to size of the posts, so I've changed the number of posts being imported at the time from 1000 to 500. Still the same. Undecided

Can someone tell me if I'm doing something wrong? And is there any way to continue importing after this kind of import halt? I'd hate to install everything again, and try again with 200 or 100 posts at a time.

Also, why is this happening? Can it be a corrupted post? In the phpBB3 forum everything seemed fine the last time I checked.

Thank you in advance,
Yeremiya
What's the max_execution_time setting in php.ini set to??
I don't know, as my hosting provider haven't provided that information. Although, when the merge system was importing threads, there were no problems (I had 3000+ threads to import, 1000 at a time). I don't think I can even provide the max_execution_time setting. Can I do anything without it, or by guessing it?
Is there anything different about post 909 than all the other posts? Perhaps special characters in a different language or something?
(2009-11-01, 09:28 PM)yeremiya Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know, as my hosting provider haven't provided that information. Although, when the merge system was importing threads, there were no problems (I had 3000+ threads to import, 1000 at a time). I don't think I can even provide the max_execution_time setting. Can I do anything without it, or by guessing it?

You can save this as php_info.php and upload it to your site, then browse to it.
<?php
phpinfo();
?>

You'll be able to see your max_execution_time in there. Or should be able to.

Also, you can try changing it to import only 100 posts at a time and see if that works. Then you're executing for a shorter period of time than doing 1000@time. If you haven't closed the merger system you can click your browsers back button to return, if you have however I don't know how to make it scrap the partial conversion. So long as you backed up your dbs (you should have backed up your clean MyBB install before starting the merger, not just your old db) you can just reset the dbs and try again.
(2009-11-01, 09:56 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]Is there anything different about post 909 than all the other posts? Perhaps special characters in a different language or something?

I am not sure. I am using UTF8 encoding everywhere, and Serbian Latin language, so it would really be the first time in my experience for this kind of error. Also, the titles of threads are in the same language, so I think the error of this kind would appear wile importing threads to. At least I think so.

(2009-11-02, 02:52 AM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]You'll be able to see your max_execution_time in there. Or should be able to.

Thank you for this, it worked! My max_execution_time is 10 (seconds, I presume). So, I think the lowering of value of posts being imported at a time would do the trick. I will try it, and will report here if I have managed to get it all done.

Thank you all for your replies so far. Smile I like a quick-responsive community! Smile
Eureka! I have discovered the issue! My hosting provider has limited filesize to 6MB. While converting, the merger system writes log files, and as soon as any of the logs goes up to 6MB, the server automatically prevents any further writing into that file. So, I've dealt with the issue by simply erasing the logs and reloading the merger page, and it continued from where it last stopped. I don't know if the merging will come through now, I'll report as soon as it's finnished. So far, I had to erase the logs twice...

Note: if this works, it may be a good idea to include a checkbox do determine wherther to write (and verbose) logs, or not, so this issue would never again come up! Smile
Yes, everything worked like a charm! Of course, there are some issues left, like changing the custom BBCodes, etc, etc, but the forum looks fully functional now! Smile So, it's for sure now, the size of log files was the issue, but I managed to cope with it. Toungue

Thank you all for your advice!

Oh, and sorry for my lousy english, it's been a while since I last practiced it! Big Grin
(2009-11-01, 12:00 PM)yeremiya Wrote: [ -> ]I am importing all the data from phpBB3. But when I get to the part where I'm supposed to import all the posts, the merge system gets stuck and I can't get it to work again.

I have already imported everything else, except posts and attachments. I have 6000+ posts, and the merge system gets stuck on the second page of importing posts with the message: "Inserting post #909". It just stands there doing nothing. Undecided

I tried refreshing the page when I got bored, and found out that the /convert/index.php now gives nothing, an empty page. So, I've dropped the db, and started all over again. Installed, configured, uploaded /convert/, imported everything from scratch. I've figured there was something wrong with the import, maybe due to size of the posts, so I've changed the number of posts being imported at the time from 1000 to 500. Still the same. Undecided
Same here except that I'm trying to convert a SMF 1.1.10 Forum to myBB. The Merger got stuck on the second page when importing posts. Refreshing the Page, raising some values in php.ini and reinstalling didn't help. The Merger got stuck on the same Message ID. I logged into phpMyAdmin and deleted that certain post and refreshed the Merger again ... stuck on another Message ID. I have already checked this messages for special characters and tried to edit some values but I was not able to find the cause for this problem. Any ideas?
Try searching for merger logs. If your host has limited filesize, this is the part where you got stuck.

Here's what I did:

1) start importing posts
2) when I got stuck, I went to the merger logs directory and erased all logs
3) click the back browser button and it will continue importing.

Note that I had to delete the logs 2 or 3 times.

Also, later I got stuck because of SQL database size, whit SQL error, but when I deleted the old (phpBB3) db everything was fine.

Hope this helps!
(2009-11-06, 10:30 AM)yeremiya Wrote: [ -> ]Try searching for merger logs. If your host has limited filesize, this is the part where you got stuck.

Here's what I did:

1) start importing posts
2) when I got stuck, I went to the merger logs directory and erased all logs
3) click the back browser button and it will continue importing.

Note that I had to delete the logs 2 or 3 times.

Also, later I got stuck because of SQL database size, whit SQL error, but when I deleted the old (phpBB3) db everything was fine.

Hope this helps!
Maximum files size is set to 100MB, execution time to 300 seconds and no limits for the database. Deleted the log files with no result.

Thanks anyways.
I deleted every file and database entry and reinstalled the whole thing now and ran the Merger once again. It got stuck on the exact same post - everything else was converted without problems. I then tried to import data from a Testforum (5 users and 10 posts) which worked like a charm. Once again I checked the posts for special characters or any other noticable problems with no outcome.

Thanks in advance.

edit:
SMF Version 1.1.10
MyBB Version 1.4.9
Merger Version 1.4 Beta5
[attachment=15953]
Pages: 1 2 3