MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Developing theme with file
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Any way for developing a theme with external files instead of admin panel ?
Admin panel is god for quick edit but extreme boring for a complete rework.
Any mod or modification ?

(sorry for bad english and eventually wrong forum)
Nope. It's not possible to make a theme without the admin panel.
I don't believe thats entirely true. You can write all your CSS code and html code elsewhere, and then just copy and paste to the proper parts of the admin CP.
That still makes what I said true. You have to use the admin panel to make the theme. Plus, it's a lot harder if you're editing HTML in something like Notepad++ and don't know where to put it in the templates.
(2009-11-02, 04:25 PM)computergeek67 Wrote: [ -> ]That still makes what I said true. You have to use the admin panel to make the theme. Plus, it's a lot harder if you're editing HTML in something like Notepad++ and don't know where to put it in the templates.

I didn't say it would be easy, I just said he COULD if he wanted to. I personally don't see whats so "boring" about doing it on the admin cp where you can actually see your results. Its a very good system imo.
I have found somenting...
open inc/class_templates.php
at line 72
replace
if($mybb->dev_mode == 1)
with
if(!$mybb->dev_mode)

at line 127 / 129
replace the default path with one out of install dir.

Export the theme in xml, rename it in mybb_theme.xml and move in the folder specified at line 127/129.

If the xml file contain the block request by template this is loaded from file otherwise from db. Every edit at the file is visible in realtime on the forum.

I have made in this way because i dont have find any dev mode config.
Take an xml exported theme and then edit it directly in a text editor.