MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Email notification of new posts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello!

I'd like to request developemnt of a plugin that does this:
For those of us (like me) who moderate all posts before allowing them to go 'live', it would be VERY helpful to be able to receive email notification whenever new posts are added to the moderation queue.
It can be very simple... just a note saying "Dear admin, xxxxx forum has received new posts in need of moderation. Click here {link directly to moderation queue} to moderate.
The power of this plugin would be for those who can receive their email on mobile phones that also have browsers that render the admin panels nicely... we'd be able to approve posts within seconds of the user submitting the post, and equally as important - it will free admins from having to look at their queues a thousand times per day!
I really hope someone can create this... seems like it should be a very simple development.

Thanks!!!!
Heart
Sharon
Umm, I wouldn't want that on a busy board unless it batch mailed them. Like if it ran a check every 4 hours and mailed that would be OK. But for every single post? I don't think so. Your inbox would have 1000 emails a day.
Excellent point... my BB is just starting out, so I havent experienced lots of posts yet...
So - good addition to the plugin requirements:

Admins can choose from:
{checkbox} Send email notification for ALL posts
{checkbox} Send email notification when _{fillin}_ posts are waiting
{checkbox} Send email notification every _{fillin}_ minutes if posts are awaiting moderation.

How's that?
Heart
Radio button instead of checkbox, but yes. That could work. Not something I would make for free, but maybe someone else will pick it up. Myself, I'm just on my boards every few hours and I have a few mods who could do it as well. But then again, I don't require moderator approval for posting. Anyone who can't follow the rules just gets booted from the boards. Simpler that way.
i agree with the above, especially for a new board. if you moderate all the posts, your forum will likely never take off
(2009-11-02, 06:33 PM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]Radio button instead of checkbox, but yes. That could work. Not something I would make for free, but maybe someone else will pick it up. Myself, I'm just on my boards every few hours and I have a few mods who could do it as well. But then again, I don't require moderator approval for posting. Anyone who can't follow the rules just gets booted from the boards. Simpler that way.

I agree with you that most posts don't need moderation. However, it would be nice for admin to know (receive email notice) there are new threads or reply posted in the past 30 min or so (but don't hold the new posts for moderation, just let admin know there are new posts). Is there such a plugin for download? Thanks
It's not really possible for anyone to make a blanket determination that "most posts dont need moderation". That all depends on board content or policies, and business objectives. My board will be an absolute goldmine for webmasters who will unscrupulously wanna up their site's SEO juice by putting content-relevant links to their sites, but the board policy (rules) prohibit this. I have to maintain a sales/solicitation/pressure free environment. The only way to do this, without letting things slip thru the cracks, is to do a super-quick scan of all posts, before they go 'live', to make sure there arent links to sales sites. As much as I really dont want to play "big sister", I'm making a commitment to the board's members and I have to uphold it.

I know, I know.... there's a plugin that makes all links into 'nofollow', but the post will still be visible on the board, so that plugin wont be good enough by itself (although I already have it installed).

(2010-01-15, 07:58 PM)fiat Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-11-02, 06:33 PM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]Radio button instead of checkbox, but yes. That could work. Not something I would make for free, but maybe someone else will pick it up. Myself, I'm just on my boards every few hours and I have a few mods who could do it as well. But then again, I don't require moderator approval for posting. Anyone who can't follow the rules just gets booted from the boards. Simpler that way.

I agree with you that most posts don't need moderation. However, it would be nice for admin to know (receive email notice) there are new threads or reply posted in the past 30 min or so (but don't hold the new posts for moderation, just let admin know there are new posts). Is there such a plugin for download? Thanks
(2010-01-15, 10:07 PM)sharon123 Wrote: [ -> ]It's not really possible for anyone to make a blanket determination that "most posts dont need moderation". That all depends on board content or policies, and business objectives. My board will be an absolute goldmine for webmasters who will unscrupulously wanna up their site's SEO juice by putting content-relevant links to their sites, but the board policy (rules) prohibit this. I have to maintain a sales/solicitation/pressure free environment. The only way to do this, without letting things slip thru the cracks, is to do a super-quick scan of all posts, before they go 'live', to make sure there arent links to sales sites. As much as I really dont want to play "big sister", I'm making a commitment to the board's members and I have to uphold it.

I know, I know.... there's a plugin that makes all links into 'nofollow', but the post will still be visible on the board, so that plugin wont be good enough by itself (although I already have it installed).

Hi Sharon, I see your good point. So, do you (or anyone) know of a simple plugin that can email-notify admin on new posts? Thanks
Just subscribe to the forum? and the thread?
Hi Mark,
Yeah... that's a semi-workaround. Problem is that anyone can start a new thread at any time and then I'd have to go into each one to subscribe. That'd be pretty invasive.
It's just so hard to believe that a plugin for this doesnt exist... while I have no idea what goes into developing a plugin, I've seen plugins that do wild crazy stuff... this one is so basic and should be so simple to develop.
(2010-01-15, 10:26 PM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]Just subscribe to the forum? and the thread?
Pages: 1 2