MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Thinking of porting from SMF to MyBB. Need help to finalize decision.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey there.
I'm new to MyBB and its forums and after browsing the forums for a while, I'm really impressed.
I currently use SMF on my site which is still in development but I'm heavily considering switching to MyBB.
Any reasons why MyBB would be superior to SMF?
It seems a lot like vBulletin which I like because I can't afford vB's hefty price tag.
Thanks.
SMF is pure crap if you compare it with MyBB its less secure, less features, bad admin panel, and skinning in my opinion is harder for SMF.

I would highly recommend switching but of course I would suggest you to setup a demo MyBB on your server so you can play with it a bit and if you like it you can take the decision.
(2009-11-03, 06:55 PM)The90sKid Wrote: [ -> ]Hey there.
I'm new to MyBB and its forums and after browsing the forums for a while, I'm really impressed.
I currently use SMF on my site which is still in development but I'm heavily considering switching to MyBB.
Any reasons why MyBB would be superior to SMF?
It seems a lot like vBulletin which I like because I can't afford vB's hefty price tag.
Thanks.

If you need a subscription module, check out the plugin available from MyBB Central, it's only $10 (i think anyways <.>) for a lifetime subscription, and it's definitely worth it.

MyBB in general has more features, a cleaner interface, faster, looks better and is much more extensible from my experience. There's virtually nothing that you can't do with MyBB, due in large part to the great community.

I would definitely suggest you make the switch!
Thanks for the help, guys.
Definitely making the switch now. Big Grin
(2009-11-03, 11:11 PM)Zomaian Wrote: [ -> ]SMF is pure crap

Statements like this are not a good idea when you are trying to convince someone. I agree with the statement but saying it like that is just going to make people think your an ignorant fanboy. Try to provide a little more solid justification next time Wink
(2009-11-04, 11:23 AM)The90sKid Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the help, guys.
Definitely making the switch now. Big Grin

Glad you made a good decision - but try the merge first in a test on your own computer before doing anything. Backup everything you've got before starting. If all goes well, good luck with your "new" forum... Smile
(2009-11-04, 11:34 AM)TimB. Wrote: [ -> ]

Statements like this are not a good idea when you are trying to convince someone. I agree with the statement but saying it like that is just going to make people think your an ignorant fanboy. Try to provide a little more solid justification next time Wink
Agreed but that why I am not an official "Convince People to Mybb" staff member Shy.

I totally disagree!! I have 3 SMF forums and 2 MyBB forums. They both have their good points as well as bad ones.

I gave up trying to convert SMF forums to MyBB. I had way too many problems so I dropped the idea altogether. I guess if I had to convert them, I'd convert to PHPBB first and then to MyBB. I had no serious problems converting PHPBB to MyBB.
(2009-11-04, 03:11 PM)catfished Wrote: [ -> ]

I totally disagree!! I have 3 SMF forums and 2 MyBB forums. They both have their good points as well as bad ones.

I gave up trying to convert SMF forums to MyBB. I had way too many problems so I dropped the idea altogether. I guess if I had to convert them, I'd convert to PHPBB first and then to MyBB. I had no serious problems converting PHPBB to MyBB.

Other than the threads I posted (with the correct fixes I might add) I had no problems going from SMF to MyBB... what versions?
Pages: 1 2