MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Connection Issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Posted this on another forum but I'll try here too.

At work, sites keep losing connection. For a while is was just the MyBB site that wouldn't work, but it'd work through a proxy. Then one day the proxy stopped working. So I tried another. It worked for a few minutes, then stopped. I must have tried 20 proxies and they all did the exact same thing. It works for a few minutes then just times out and says it can't connect.

Then random other sites started doing the same, MyBB Central, Twitter, Facebook, my own sites, other forums... exact same thing, loads, loads, loads, times out. Even WhatPulse doesn't work, all I was doing with that was pulsing my keys/clicks once or twice a day, and the site downforeveryoneorjustme.com, which I was using to see if it was on my end or not, is doing the same too. What's even weirder is that the only part of mybboard.net that works is the dev site, no other part of the site works, but the dev site has always been fine. Well, until today that is, it suddenly stopped this morning.

I can't remember for sure if they ping or not, but I'm sure there's 0% loss. I've changed my internet connection settings too, messed around with IP/DNS settings, flushed DNS, all that, no joy. My Windows firewall has been off, and it isn't just my laptop, my iPod Touch can't connect to the same sites either.

I work for an IT/software/hardware company and I know they're not blocking it because they've said themselves that blocking sites is pointless as it's easy to get around. My ISP are partners with who I work for, so they're not blocking stuff, they're all perfectly OK sites. The only correlation I can see between the sites is that they're sites I 'shouldn't really be on' whilst at work; we have a very relaxed working environment, and although they wouldn't mind me going on these sites occasionally during the day, I'm not really keen on asking them about it.

Anyone have any idea what might be blocking them??
So other sites work during this time? Is there any specific error or just just it's not loading?
It just loads and gives the Chrome connection error message; the same happens in all browsers, just says it can't connect, page can't be displayed, etc.

Most sites work, it just knows the sites I want to go on most and chooses not to load them :| It happened on about 3 sites today, it was fine for a few minutes, then loaded and loaded, said it couldn't connect, and never worked again.
hmm,weird Toungue.

Can you reach the sites by IP still (and/or ping them)?
I can't view them by IP, same thing happens, but I'm pretty sure they ping successfully. It's really weird. When I run a trace route the last few hops usually time out.

I've gone through all the network settings, run all the diagnostic tools, they all say there's no connection issues, run all the things that clear stuff and reset stuff, no change.

It used to be just these forums for a few days, but then loads of other sites started doing the same thing.
This has happened to me many times, I have yet to figure out how to solve it. Usually I just wait, but I don't know why it happens.
Well if you can ping them it complicates things Toungue. I don't know what to tell you. There is a routing issue somewhere(maybe in a datacenter you have to pass through for all we know).
If it was just one or two sites I'd understand but I could list 15+ sites that all do this. It's becoming a real pain.
Happens to me at work sometimes, and is a pain. Not sure why it does it and I have a direct connection to the internet there (not through any network or firewall).
I have an solution for you, you can pay me laters Wink
Run cmd then write
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
Pages: 1 2