MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Legallity Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Not sure of the exact laws there but in most countries as long as you have info on how to unsubscribe in every email you send out and it is actually possible for the user to unsubscribe following those instructions, you should be fine. Also when registering they should see the option to subscribe/unsubscribe which you can have checked by default.
(2009-11-10, 09:36 PM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-11-10, 09:11 PM)2KH Wrote: [ -> ]it's not illegal if they can unsubscribe it.

Correct, for both the US and Canada

Thank you two, and G33k, i will make sure i can do that.
I would include a Terms of Service/Privacy Policy also just to CYOA. Wink

Here's an example of ours:
Quote:By signing up for our services you agree to receive e-mails from us including, but not limited to, newsletters, announcements, specials, contests, and other information. You may opt-out at any time and an unsubscribe link will be provided in all promotional e-mails.
You are unable to opt-out of announcements relating to our service or account related e-mails.
We comply with the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003.
I would do this:

When you register they get signed up but on the register page or in the TOS write that you will be signed up for a newsletter but than you can unsubscribe in the admin panel for example.

Just google a bit around with the Spam law in Candada.
The users need to be informed that they are "opted in" to this agreement with clear instructions on how to opt-out. Facebook had this problem when they got everyone into one of their schemes when users didn't know about it, and they've had trouble ever since.

Add information into the TOS as KuJoe suggests, and on every email you send out make sure that there is instructions on how to unsubscribe. You've pretty much covered all bases with that...
Your sig is killing me...

So adding it to the page when your registering, that counts? (or is that most people TOS)
(2009-11-10, 11:15 PM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]Your sig is killing me...

So adding it to the page when your registering, that counts? (or is that most people TOS)

OOoooO... http://beta.xekko.co.uk/ ... Shy

Technically, yes - as they are agreeing to it. It's not your fault they don't read it properly.
We require all of our users to agree to our TOS which outlines our Privacy Policy so that is where we put it.
Thanks Joe and Tomm. Even though Tomm is trying to kill me.
Pages: 1 2