MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: requests/services/jobs forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
You should seriously do something about this forum soon.
There are so many people trying to sell their crap.
One example is people selling hosting without being an registered company or doesn't seem to know how to run one. Another thing is people selling their crappy websites and domains which is useless.
I don't think it's up to us to decide whether a website or domain is crappy.

Saying that however, it could be better to make it specifically MyBB related stuff only, if that isn't what it's meant for now anyway.
Sad I like selling random crap and make some money I mean at the moment it seems fine. Most people just sell domains, hosting, themes, forums, websites, etc. As long as people don't start turning the forum into eBay and sell sofas, xboxes, clothes, and other crap I am fine with it.
lol I don't imagine people selling sofas or clothes on that section Toungue you made me laugh with your analogy, but I agree. If you consider something is worthless, then don't buy it or post about it. And if everyone thinks it's worthless, it just won't be buyed. No problems.
Maybe say that web hosts have to be a registered business? (Do they have a business registration in the US like our ABN in Australia?)

I don't see it as a huge problem though, the only problem I see is people bumping their posts because they don't realize no one else is posting because its worthless.

Also come to think of it, I think advertising some RL stuff in there might be a good idea Toungue

(2009-11-11, 06:10 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Saying that however, it could be better to make it specifically MyBB related stuff only, if that isn't what it's meant for now anyway.

This probably isn't a bad idea but I don't think it's going to solve the crappy web host problem, web hosts are still in a way related to MyBB and so are useless domains but we don't want to filter all domains and all hosting so there isn't much we can do.
I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but what about requiring new threads be moderated and have some requirements in place to protect the users of this site? Examples:

Free Requests/Offers: Little restriction since the impact is less.
Paid Requests/Offers: Higher restriction since the impact is higher.

Now I hate to bring this up, but so far to my knowledge there has yet to be a "I'VE BEEN SCAMMED!" thread in relation to the Request/Services/Jobs forum but it is bound to happen. Putting some restrictions in place now can lessen the impact or prevent it all together. I'm not saying anything big like requiring photo ID or a credit card, but some minor restrictions that are quick and easy to check and free to implement.

My suggestions:
No WHOIS Protection on domains- This will both verify that the domain is indeed the sellers and/or this will reduce 99% of the fly-by-night web hosts that take your money and close up shop.
Minimum posts/registration date to create/reply to threads- By setting this, it will reduce the amount of users who sign-up for the sole purpose of advertising/scamming.
Domain age requirements- This will reduce the amount of fly-by-night web hosts and benefit those selling/buying domains since the majority of registrars already have a restriction on new domain transfers.
(2009-11-11, 10:58 PM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]My suggestions:
No WHOIS Protection on domains- This will both verify that the domain is indeed the sellers and/or this will reduce 99% of the fly-by-night web hosts that take your money and close up shop.
Minimum posts/registration date to create/reply to threads- By setting this, it will reduce the amount of users who sign-up for the sole purpose of advertising/scamming.
Domain age requirements- This will reduce the amount of fly-by-night web hosts and benefit those selling/buying domains since the majority of registrars already have a restriction on new domain transfers.
I disagree with #1 and #3. #2 is a good idea.

#1 - Certain sites have WHOIS for a reason, or maybe the seller wants to be anonymous. Not that it has anything to do with MyBB forums, but my proxies all have WHOIS, and for good reason.

#3 - Namecheap doesn't have restrictions, and neither does Dynadot. Registrar restrictions is the registrar's problem. Either way, what if I find a really good domain, but later learn I don't have time for it?
#2 is a bad suggestion since 99% of those who post in this forum have some posts.
Maybe force the users 1 sale/thread a month or something? I don't like the idea of restrctions.
(2009-11-11, 11:00 PM)Zash Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-11-11, 10:58 PM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]My suggestions:
I disagree with #1 and #3. #2 is a good idea.

#1 - Certain sites have WHOIS for a reason, or maybe the seller wants to be anonymous. Not that it has anything to do with MyBB forums, but my proxies all have WHOIS, and for good reason.

#3 - Namecheap doesn't have restrictions, and neither does Dynadot. Registrar restrictions is the registrar's problem. Either way, what if I find a really good domain, but later learn I don't have time for it?
I fail to see how your proxy sites would be impacted the the suggested restriction unless you are selling something. The idea is to have legit contact information on the seller which reduces fraud and protects the end user (you wouldn't buy a car from a dealership that hides their phone number would you?).

As for the 3rd suggestion, I'm not suggesting a long wait like 2 months, but would you sell a domain that's 4 days old?
Pages: 1 2 3