MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: NewbieQ: Private Forum?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to do something basic but I can't figure it out...

I want to have a "members-only" forum as part of my discussion board. Most of the forums are public, but some are members only.

I tried making a special group--but I could only see how the Admin could add that person to the group. I could not see how the user could request membership.

If a person goes to my site with the intent of joining a private forum (they heard about it from a friend, say), what do they do?

How about invitations to join a members-only forum--is that possible?

Sorry for the basic questions--I'm missing something here...

--Darin
When you edit a group (we'll use the example of VIP), you should see a "Publicly Joinable Options" section. There you will find options to allow members to join and leave, etc...
They can join that group via the userCP.

Is that what you are looking for?
O.K., that helps. I think I get it now.

So there is no way to have the forum title visible to all readers, then when they click on it they get the option to request to join, or something like that?

As it is they have to know how to use the User CP (a bit of a stretch for people not used to forums, I'm afraid...)

--Darin
If you setup the forum so they can see the forum itself, but not the threads inside it, you could then add a description to the forum explaining where they'd need to go, and/or add an announcement to that forum explaining it.
You can also when you create a forum choose the group you want to view the forum.

dose this help any?