MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Newbie Plz Help.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I am a newbie looking to build my first forum/discussion board website. I’ve been reading a lot about coding and how to create a forum, and I am very interested in learning how to do this stuff. You see, I would like to create a forum, but I don’t want it to look like the stereotypical forums you normally see. I want it to follow the same principal (membership based posting) but I want to make a few changes.

I would like to create a forum where there is a single space for posting and then there are tabs saying most discussed, most favored, most viewed, and then when you click on that tab to switches views to display most replies-most discussed/highest rating-most favored/ most viewed-most viewed. It seems like a simple concept, but I’m new and need help and I don’t know where to start. It’s would look exactly like this sites “Ideas” section.

Thanks
(2009-11-15, 06:59 PM)Ion Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,

I am a newbie looking to build my first forum/discussion board website. I’ve been reading a lot about coding and how to create a forum, and I am very interested in learning how to do this stuff. You see, I would like to create a forum, but I don’t want it to look like the stereotypical forums you normally see. I want it to follow the same principal (membership based posting) but I want to make a few changes.

I would like to create a forum where there is a single space for posting and then there are tabs saying most discussed, most favored, most viewed, and then when you click on that tab to switches views to display most replies-most discussed/highest rating-most favored/ most viewed-most viewed. It seems like a simple concept, but I’m new and need help and I don’t know where to start. It’s would look exactly like this sites “Ideas” section.

Thanks

To get started is not so simple to some, other think it is, deppends how you look at it. If you know how to Use BBCodes then thats pretty much all there really needs to run a complete board. However you will need a little knowing of HTML and PHP. Basic in most cases.

To start you need to create a Catagory; name it, permission it, etc. Then you need to create the forum witch the content will mostly be. Because you can't post in a catagory. create a forum under that catagory you made. Make sure the permissions are either coping the catagorys permissions or has its own. So this way members will be able to post etc.

As for tabs, I'm not to sure where your getting at, however I do have an idea what you mean. So to answer that question you'll need to know PHP to edit some templates within your board.

Regards,
Larry T.
Why not use MyBB and just customize the heck out of it?