MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: does anyone feel sorry for people who can't subscribe for plugins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
just for the record this is not a revive for the same paid vs free debate

i was just wondering if there were people who felt sorry for other people who could not subscribe to other forums to download stuff.

just a human interest piece

edit

im afraid i was a bit unclear
i meant people who do not have the means ..lets say lack of a credit card due to age or country restriction
Not really because anyone can make money on the net without having any to start Wink.
read the edit above...i used to not have a cc
most people have the means to make money but do not get a chance to try

maybe you have lots of people willing to subscribe to a free host forum but paypal and your country don't mix and so on and so forth
I took one of my dad's old credit cards and linked it to a PayPal account I made - not that hard.

Most people that have a computer and internet access should be able to earn money somehow on the net Wink.
Not really. People's time goes into them, they should be worth something. And if you can't afford $10/yr for even just ONE plugin... yeah. I make plugins, but I (well, the site owner of the site I'm developing for) also uses several of Labrocca's plugins that she subscribes for.

So I'm seeing it from both points of view. Mine, as my development time costs me money (as in I could spend it working another job instead of writing code) and so is worth something to me. But also other people's who can't develop there own. Some plugins I write are small and only take 10 minutes or so. Others are more complex and take a couple of hours. So, $10/yr for unlimited access and usage of all the plugins we host is a pittance.

Anyone who can't afford it is either too young (13-15?) to be running a forum in the first place (my opinion), or needs to find a new job, OR has more important things going on (like a family to provide for). So no, I don't feel sorry for them.

I should also note that there are plugins I want that the site owner where I develop has and I don't, because I can't afford a subscription at MyBBCentral right now. So, if I don't feel sorry for myself, I'm sure as heck not going to feel sorry for others.
Nope, because I don't care Toungue. I had to buy things online when I was young and talked my dad into it once (then had his stuff on paypal so I just used his account until I was 18 Toungue).
(2009-11-16, 12:40 AM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]~snip~
Anyone who can't afford it is either too young (13-15?) to be running a forum in the first place (my opinion), or needs to find a new job, OR has more important things going on (like a family to provide for). So no, I don't feel sorry for them.

~snip~
I disagree with the age, it's more the maturity. I am 15 and I easily make money and run forums in my free time and I do not think I am to young. One of my friends started doing web-design when he was 12 and is currently 13 and he is better than most people I have ever met. Of course this is rare but it's just an example that age doesn't matter always its more maturity.

(2009-11-16, 12:42 AM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]Nope, because I don't care Toungue. I had to buy things online when I was young and talked my dad into it once (then had his stuff on paypal so I just used his account until I was 18 Toungue).
Doing that currently, he gave me his old credit card to use on PayPal.
That's part of why I put the ? in there Zomain. I also started very young (14) and was successful at it. Again, like you I was very mature for my age. I do agree with your sentiments, but I was making a generalization. There are ALWAYS exceptions.
Of course, don't worry I have met tons of 14 year olds that are little cry babies Toungue.
(2009-11-16, 12:40 AM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]Not really. People's time goes into them, they should be worth something. And if you can't afford $10/yr for even just ONE plugin... yeah. I make plugins, but I (well, the site owner of the site I'm developing for) also uses several of Labrocca's plugins that she subscribes for.
i don't argue that and the point of this thread is not that Smile
i know people are entitled for payment for their plugins

and i reiterate that the point of this thread is not to argue that fact

think food --- many people can't afford it basic fact of life..

if i asked "do you feel sorry for a hungry man unable to buy food"
am i arguing that supermarkets start hading out free food --- NO!

i just asked if people feel sorry for these users
sorry for any confusion

(2009-11-16, 12:47 AM)Zomaian Wrote: [ -> ]Of course, don't worry I have met tons of 14 year olds that are little cry babies Toungue.

i hear that
Pages: 1 2 3