MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Test server, need parts suggestions.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hai :p

I am making a test server, and i need some part suggestions. I think a celeron CPU, and 256 ram. Gonna put webmin and test any software/plugins and apps i can. I think i could try to dual boot some bsd and either ubuntu or centos for server (been meaning to see why everyone uses it...)

You think i should up the specs for running a test server, or have any suggestions?
Hehe cool but maybe a bit more ram?
As long it's just your general php scripts you should be fine.
Well some web.20 scripts. I may put openfire on it. Think that would work/
Ah well it depends on how much stuff you will be putting on it Wink.
The specs are fine for a test box. I would suggest creating a clean image after you have the OS and base scripts setup and configured the way you want them so you can re-image for each test to ensure you're test is accurate.

I've never used BSD but I hear it has a high learning curve but well worth the time to invest. I'm not a fan of Debian so I my vote is for CentOS 5 (I use this on all my servers and really like the desktop distro) although Fedora 12 is a nice alternative and still RHEL based. You can also look at Arch Linux which isn't based off of any distro and a completely clean install making it perfect for a test system.
I think i have an old old red hat server edition

/randomy rants/
I remember my dad at the computer show in our local mall, making me dress up like a penguin and my sister as a devil for red hat and linux. it make me lol. I think i still have the server CD /random rants/

lol. I have used bsd before, some of them are just way more secure.
(2009-11-16, 03:14 AM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]I think i have an old old red hat server edition

/randomy rants/
I remember my dad at the computer show in our local mall, making me dress up like a penguin and my sister as a devil for red hat and linux. it make me lol. I think i still have the server CD /random rants/

lol. I have used bsd before, some of them are just way more secure.
Please tell me you got a picture! I need to see this xD.
I know we do, no idea where it is though was years ago... Will find it and scan it later :p
Sweet xD, Not that I wont post it on fail blog *cough* *cough*
Pages: 1 2