MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Spam! It's driving me mad
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
So your conclusion is, MyBB should block the entire national IP range of India because that guy spammed right here on this forum the other day ?

Should we then proceed to ban all of California because some Russian spam bot operator used a series of LA based open proxies and attacked your forums ?

Where does this process end ??

If you want you can simply block all IP's worldwide and whitelist your buddies, then your problems are over, except when they troll you and signature spam your forum !! Rolleyes
Did I say anything about MyBB? It's his site and he decides who he wants to give access to. He obvisouly doesn't have many visitors from India so he's not worried about blocking the country. And, since it stopped the spam it's obvisouly working for now.
Certain countries traffic is just not worth it. Payouts from advertisers are often dependent on the origin of the clicker. Most ad networks discount or pay nothing for Indian traffic.

Should MyBB block India? Probably not since they aren't here to make money.

Should other admins block India? That's going to be there decision and it's not unwise to at least consider it imho. I personally do not block India because it's a huge market and I earn from subscribers. If I was ad based income I would block it and most of the world. For now I block China, Latvia, Brazil, and about 20 total countries that seem to create problems on my forums normally from DDOS attacks.

You have to weigh the value of the traffic to you versus the benefit.
I just blocked India at Console World, nothing else. The amount of visitors I get from India are nothing compared to the rest of the countries, so I'd rather keep my forums clean than deleting threads and users everyday.

@AVC I decide what I do with my forum, if you have any suggestions to cut spam, they're welcomed, otherwise if the only thing you have to discuss is if I should or should not block India, I'd like to talk about something else if you don't mind.
Yea I have noticed over the past view months that I get barely people from India and if I do they are spammers, bots, or worthless people Toungue.
I had lots of Indians at my webmaster-related forums only because that's a big thing in India right now, so it's not right to ban them.

I had one or two spammers in the past, but they only made like 1 or 2 posts and I deleted and banned them right away.
I'm considering setting up a whitelist for my paid hosting company because the vast majority of countries out there cost me a lot of money in attempted fraud. Sad
Maybe someone can start this project:

Have a plugin that will automatically ban the ips/websites that are added to a list:

Users can submit a ip/website of a spammer by going to a website and fill in a form. Once the form is approved the the spammers IP will be added to this list. Than the plugin will fetch the information from that list and add it to banned ip in the forum settings.

Or something like that, not sure if anyone came up with that Toungue Just an idea ^^.
I think that's essentially what Akismet is supposed to do, but that plugin sucks.
Look at www.botscout.com and www.stopforumspam.com, they have tools and anti spambot databases you can use.

These threads will help also.

http://www.forumpostersunion.com/showthread.php?t=9216

http://www.forumpostersunion.com/showthread.php?t=2965

You can also look at installing a software firewall to filter out bad IP's before they hit the web applications on your web servers.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10