MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Problems uploading (big) picture as attachment
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi there,

Uploading an image as an attachment that is greater than (about) 150 KB in a new message (or reply) box resulted in a white blank screen. Hitting F5 (refresh) on the browser will still give the same white blank screen.

I've tried doing this using Firefox 3.5.5, Opera 9.64, Chrome 3.0.195.33, Safari 4.0.2, SlimBrowser 4.12, and IE 8.0 under Windows XP SP3. They all failed to upload the image.

In my forum, uploading image is allowed upto 500 KB (I think this is the default value). Uploading smaller images as attachment (< 100 KB) works perfectly.
Can you please tell me why this problem occurs and how to resolve this?

Thanks.
Can you check what the upload_max_filesize in your host's php.ini file?? By 'In my forum, uploading image is allowed upto 500 KB' I assume you mean the limit in the MyBB settings, but you may be hitting a low limit set by your host.
Hi Matt,

I don't really understand with 'upload_max_filesize in your host's php.ini file'? And I can not find any php.ini in my site.

But now, if I look into my php info from myBB admin's 'Tools & Maintenance', the following parameters are set:
- memory_limit 8M 8M
- post_max_size 8M 8M
- upload_max_filesize 16M 16M
where the first column values are the 'Local Value' and the second column values are the 'Master Value'.
These settings are also shown in myBB attachment setting of my forum (see the attachment below).

[attachment=16294]

With these settings, I may assume it must be possible to send a post not greater than 8 MB and upload an attachment not greater than 16 MB. Is this assumption correct?

I've just upgraded my forum from 1.4.9 to 1.4.10 but this problem remains.

Thanks again.
You have to contact your host to check that file.
Hi Mark and Matt,

@Matt: you asked me about the 'upload_max_filesize' in my host's php.ini file. Is this the same 'upload_max_filesize' as in myBB's 'php info' in admin's 'Tools & Maintenance'? (see also my previous post)

I asked about this matter to my host but no reaction is given yet. :-(

Please note that this problem occurs only with jpg files!
Big files but other type than jpg, and as long as not exceeding the size limit, will give no problem at all with uploading! (see also the attachment below)

[attachment=16327]

Any idea guys? Please?
Also uploading (big) png file gives the same white blank page! :-(
Bilaai,

you can see your php normal upload limit by going into your "AdminCP" selecting the "Tools & Maintenance" tab and clicking on "View PHP Info".

In the "Configuration PHP Core" section the settings are listed alphabeticaly you will find "upload_max_filesize" near the end.

Be aware that this value can be overridden with a php.ini file, that could lower that value.
Hi Exdiogene,

Thanks for your info.

I've already found "upload_max_filesize" as you described in your post and the value of this "upload_max_filesize" is 16 MB (please see the attachment below and also my 2nd post).

[attachment=16340]

The thing is, regardless of whether this value is overridden by the one in the php.ini file or not, uploading other (large) files give no problem at all! I've tested it by uploading zip, pdf and bmp files! (944 KB, 1,886 KB and 491 KB resp.) No problem at all! (see also the attachment in my 3rd post)

As far as I know, this problem occurs only with (large) jpg and png files. Large in this case means greater than about 150 KB.

So logically, I would think that the cause of this problem is not the value of "upload_max_filesize" in php.ini file but 'something' else is. (Unless, there is a distinction for "upload_max_filesize" for the various file types) Can somebody tell me what this 'something' is? Please?

Note: uploading images is allowed up to 500 KB in my myBB forum (see also attachment below)

[attachment=16341]
I have to tell you that i had myself some problems with "JPEG" files as avatars in the past, the problem was with the "getimagesize()" function in PHP. Just changing the files extension to "JPG" solved the problem to get and validate the images size.

Could it be the same issue with you?
No, I think this is not the same issue.

If I rename a jpg file into a jpeg file and upload this file to my forum, the same white blank page is the result. :-(

Do you have more ideas?
Pages: 1 2