MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What is the best way to recover a deleted thread?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
One of my mods deleted this thread by accident on the 17th I believe but I do have backups of the database from before that date, including the 16th.

What is the quickest way to get the thread back up on the forum again? Sad

Elwave! Smile
Pull it from your backup, put the backup on a separate domain, then pull the posts, add it to your current forum, by rebuilding the thread.

If you just restore the old backup you lose all the latest posts after the back up.
AVC is right. It is the simplest. If you wanted to go all hardcore you could transfer it from one database to the other (But that would be a pain, and very inprobable)
(2009-11-21, 03:59 AM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]AVC is right. It is the simplest. If you wanted to go all hardcore you could transfer it from one database to the other (But that would be a pain, and very inprobable)
* Bob Jansen jaws drops open
Sometimes you can get lucky and find the thread in Google cache and you can cut and paste it back in, that is if they index your forum.
WHT.com restored their whole database (from 2008-2009) from Google when it got hacked and wiped out earlier this year.
To bad wht.com is down?
(2009-11-21, 04:12 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]WHT.com restored their whole database (from 2008-2009) from Google when it got hacked and wiped out earlier this year.

Hard to believe they did not have their own backups, I also find it hard to believe they got everything from Google.
Yea stupid that they didn't have their own backup but I do believe they got everything from Google. Google got way more indexed and cached than you think Wink.
(2009-11-21, 04:14 AM)Zomaian Wrote: [ -> ]To bad wht.com is down?
WebHostingTalk.com, sorry. I'm used to referring to it as WHT.

(2009-11-21, 04:28 AM)AVC Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-11-21, 04:12 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]WHT.com restored their whole database (from 2008-2009) from Google when it got hacked and wiped out earlier this year.

Hard to believe they did not have their own backups, I also find it hard to believe they got everything from Google.
All of their local and offsite backups were comprimised. Their last physical backup was for late 2008. They pulled all of the threads/posts/users from Google cache except for maybe 200 threads I think (and of course the hidden areas which weren't cached). They coded a script to grab all of the cache from google which rotated IPs so they wouldn't get blocked. Smile I got to hear all about it when the flew me up to their home office. Big Grin

(2009-11-21, 04:31 AM)Zomaian Wrote: [ -> ]Yea stupid that they didn't have their own backup but I do believe they got everything from Google. Google got way more indexed and cached than you think Wink.
They do keep multiple backups. They had local backups plus an offsite backup server plus their home office backups, but once the hacker gained root access they were able to get to the offsite servers even though they were accessible through the internet.
Pages: 1 2 3