MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: is it safe to delete bots?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i have no idea why all these bots come with the installation of this program, but is it ok for me to delete them without a problem?

people are on our forum like why is there a googlebot visiting our forum? what the hell is that? why is it there?
They come with MyBB so you can see when search engine bots are on your forum. GoogleBot is Google crawling your forum and indexing it, it's not a bad thing, it's good. It's fine to delete them, search engine bots will just show up as normal guests.
ah, lol. gotcha, i think. so whats the benefit of keeping one on there? what exactly is indexing my forum? making it easier for registered users to navigate around it or something?
No it doesn't actually do anything to your forum or anything for your users, search engines visit your forum and index the pages, that's how sites get into the search results on Google; Google has crawled their site, saved the page content to their databases, and then matches that content to the search keywords, thus proving the list of search results. If you delete them from the ACP, Google and other search engines will still crawl your site, you just won't see them on the Who's Online List.
(2009-11-21, 10:59 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]No it doesn't actually do anything to your forum or anything for your users, search engines visit your forum and index the pages, that's how sites get into the search results on Google; Google has crawled their site, saved the page content to their databases, and then matches that content to the search keywords, thus proving the list of search results. If you delete them from the ACP, Google and other search engines will still crawl your site, you just won't see them on the Who's Online List.

ah, gotcha. that explains it alot better. thanks