MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Archive pages = duplicate content
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I noticed the forum software generates forums/archive/ pages, which are duplicated content of the original pages. has somebody had problem with that? I am concerned search engines might ban my site because of that.
thanks.
They are not duplicated content. Its the content of your site, in an archived state.
(2009-11-22, 12:15 AM)parlanchina Wrote: [ -> ]I noticed the forum software generates forums/archive/ pages, which are duplicated content of the original pages. has somebody had problem with that? I am concerned search engines might ban my site because of that.
thanks.

yes, that's true but this content can be indexed by search engines and that is a problem.
It isn't really duplicate, isn't is only classed as duplicate content if two URLs load the exact same page, like ./showthread.php?tid=1 and ./thread-1.html...?? There's also the printable version, and there's lots of results in search engines that load the archive/printable versions of pages as well as the normal page, this site included, and there doesn't seem to be a problem. Why do you think it will cause a problem...??
(2009-11-22, 12:20 AM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]It isn't really duplicate, isn't is only classed as duplicate content if two URLs load the exact same page, like ./showthread.php?tid=1 and ./thread-1.html...?? There's also the printable version, and there's lots of results in search engines that load the archive/printable versions of pages as well as the normal page, this site included, and there doesn't seem to be a problem. Why do you think it will cause a problem...??

I have studies SEO in and out and this is one of the basic rules - dont duplicate content. Then I guess there is not a harm to stop the robots going to the archive/ pages?
It is duplicate content. The best way to fix this would be to add the following to your robots.txt file:

User-agent: *
Allow: /
Disallow: /archive/
The Google SEO plugin can also set canonical for these pages so Google will know how they are related to one another.