MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Need Computer Advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
So I have this desktop from 2005 which is still surprisingly running good. It has 1GB RAM, 180GB space, a 5.9/7 rate for CPU and Hard Drive. The default graphics card is a 1.0 rating and basically is worthless. I bought a new graphics card 2 years ago but yesterday it died and now I am in a dilema. I currently replaced my desktop with my laptop as main desktop but I can't do that for good since I need my laptop out of the house to and I don't feel like unplugging 6 USB cables, power cable, and the AVG cable.

So Should I:

1) Turn my old Desktop into a home server and buy a new one.
2) Buy a new graphics card for 150 dollars.
3) Use it for now until it dies off

The resolution and graphics are so horrible I just can not function correctly so number 3 that is my last choice. Another problem is that I am note sure if it's worth 150 dollars to buy a new graphics card for a 4 year old desktop, I mean it runs fine but I am sure I can use some better RAM and Space so why not buy a new one?

So what do you think?
CPU is pretty decent.

Buy a new graphics card + Add some more ram

No point buying a new computer yet IMO.
What's the specific CPU? Has the hard drive been changed since you bought it?(and does it ever get put under a lot of stress?)

Either way I would say it depends on the kind of cash flow you have. Ram and hard drives are cheap so if you just want to increase those along with a new graphics card it will be a lot less than a new computer. But, what do you plan doing with it?
Currently I am using it for a lot of stuff. I haven't replaced anything besides the graphics card and usally I notice I can use some extra RAM (emo) since I have: MSN, Slype, FileZilla, PhotoShop, Notepad++, Word Office, and Mozilla always open and than some other programs running in the background.

I have a budget of around $500 dollars. I have not a lot of problems with the limited space I have since I got a extra HHD storage box. So I believe all I have to buy is a new Graphics Card and some RAM.

What do you guys advice me what graphics card to buy and how much ram?

Thanks,
Zomaian
Well the only reason I brought up the hard drive is it's going to start degrading soon so you may want to replace it as well.

Since RAM is cheap just go for 4gb(inless your on a 32 bit operating system then get 3 as that's all it will be able see).

For your budget it you can get a nice graphics card with the left over money I personally like nvidias but in the end it's up to you.

http://www.newegg.com/ go see what you can find in you budget.
Thanks! Yea I had a nvidias graphics card before it broke. I think my hard drive is fine for now so i will go do some shopping Toungue.
I would suggest buying a new computer. You can continue to upgrade a computer as long as you want, however a lot of the time it's just a lot cheaper to buy a new one. A decent tower nowadays is only $400 - $500.
Please make sure you have a good Power Supply before buying a graphics card, if your computer is old and running on a low WATT, cheap brand power supply. And then you buy a power hungry graphics card, your PC will fail.

I suggest you make sure you have a good PSU thats capable of the job. Corsair is probebly one of the best PSU makes, don't go for WATT, go for brand. You could buy a cheap PSU with a high WATT and i guarantee you that a better brand like corsair running at a lower WATT would perform better and make your system more stable.

I hope this helped...
(2009-11-25, 10:29 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]I would suggest buying a new computer. You can continue to upgrade a computer as long as you want, however a lot of the time it's just a lot cheaper to buy a new one. A decent tower nowadays is only $400 - $500.
400-500 dollars? If you want to buy a piece of shet LOL. I usally spend 800-1200 on computers to get a good one. That's why the one from 2005 is still working so well.

(2009-11-25, 11:27 PM)Heartless Wrote: [ -> ]Please make sure you have a good Power Supply before buying a graphics card, if your computer is old and running on a low WATT, cheap brand power supply. And then you buy a power hungry graphics card, your PC will fail.

I suggest you make sure you have a good PSU thats capable of the job. Corsair is probebly one of the best PSU makes, don't go for WATT, go for brand. You could buy a cheap PSU with a high WATT and i guarantee you that a better brand like corsair running at a lower WATT would perform better and make your system more stable.

I hope this helped...
It should be fine, I already checked it and my Power Supply should be able to handle a better graphics card. Remember I already ran a G Force on it it just died for some strange reason, seems like it got over heated or something since 3 out of the 9 little bulb things on the chip card got popped.
2005 was 4 years ago. Prices have much changed since then. Take a look at these for example:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/eMachines+-+...Id=9576835
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/eMachines+-+...Id=9533588
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Essen...Id=9541766

I would hardly consider those 'pieces of orange'. You don't have to spend thousands of dollars to get a good PC nowadays.. lol. Unless you're still living in the 2005 era that is.
Pages: 1 2 3 4