MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Test Site
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

Firstly sorry if this is in the wrong place but I am unsure where else to post.

I am planning on doing some major upgrades to my site (www.vampirecounts.net), however I want to make sure my planned changes look and work before implementing them.

So to that I end I want to set up a test site, a site that is basically identical to the live site, but only I have access to it, and it doesn't matter what changes I make. So I would have some where to test any scripts, plugins etc.

Unfortunately I am still rather new to being an admin and so I don't know how to set this up. Does anyone have an idiot guide to doing this?

Many Thanks

Disciple of Nagash
Make a new folder, called test or something, copy the files from the normal forum across to that, make a new database and import a backup of your current forum to that, then edit the database details of the test forum in ./inc/config.php to point to the new database.

You'll also need to edit your Board URL setting and Cookie Path in the ./inc/settings.php of the test forum, and then edit them again in the test ACP after, so everything works correctly.

Doing this wouldn't strictly give only you access to it, but if you didn't give the URL to anyone it's unlike anyone would find it.
Matt, would you be ok if I send you a PM with a couple of queries that I have in regards to this?
I'll take no response as a no Smile

Ok, as I said I am very new so have a few queries.

New Test Directory - Is this in the Root Folder, or on the same level as the Root Folder?

Once I have created the new directory and the new database, can you advise which particular sections of the files you mentioned need changing?

After doing this, what would be the address to access the test site?

Is there any chance you would do this for me instead lol Smile
Sorry to bump this, but any advice on the above?
Oops, sorry, thought I replied to this.

Currently your files will be in the folder called 'public_html' or something similar. If you go here (you'll see index.php, member.php, online.php, and the admin, cache, inc folder etc) and create a new folder there called 'test', the URL would be http://www.vampirecounts.net/test/

Then, you'd copy all of the files from your current forum into the /test/ forum.

Backup your database, and in your host CP, create a new database and import the backup to it; after that you'd need to got to ./test/inc/config.php and edit it to load from the new database. Then the two will be totally separate.
Ok, I have done the following so far:

Created a folder in my root folder & copied everything across.

I created a new SQL database.

Now the problem I am getting, I am trying to import the database to the test one, but it doesn't seem to be working. I have a .dmp file that is my backup. Should I import that in phpMyAdmin?
You import it in phpMyAdmin, yeah, don't know if it'll import a .dmp though, usually it's a .sql, .zip or .sql.gz file.
Tried uploading the .sql.gz file and got this error:

[attachment=16237]

Why won't it access it?
Does your database user have full rights to that database?? Does your host use cPanel??
Ok, I have buggered things right up now. When trying to access my database via phpMyAdmin it requests my password for SQL? I have tried my HostCP password but that doesn't seem to work?

Now also my website has the following error:

[attachment=16242]
UPDATE: I have fixed the issues and I think I have it in hand at the moment.

Thanks for all the help!
Pages: 1 2