MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to find forum url?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello everyone! So, I've successfully created my mybb forums and whatnot, have a theme I like, and have created all my categories and sub forums.

NOW, I'm trying to get other users, but I have absolutely NO IDEA what my forum url is, or where I can find it.

All I've been going on is to localhost/operationhockey (name of my forums)

But obviously that's located on my computer only. How do I find out what my forum url is so I can begin to invite people over?

By the way, sorry if this question's been answered. I looked through a bit of the wiki page and couldn't find anything, so I'm very sorry.
the domain is URL
You don't have a URL, people can't access your localhost. You either need to buy a proper domain or get a free one, and then you need to get a host.
(2009-11-30, 08:13 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]You don't have a URL, people can't access your localhost. You either need to buy a proper domain or get a free one, and then you need to get a host.

Ohh, ok, I see then, thank you.

So, if I've already set up everything for my forum, and want to host it on a site, is there a way to just export all the settings I've made on the localhost forum? Or will I have to re-create all of my subforums and everything all over again?
No you can keep everything... once you've got a host and a domain, and your domain is pointing to your host's file root (your host will be able to help you sort that out) you'd need to go to ACP > Configuration > General Configuration > and change your Board URL and cookie settings to reflect the new URL; we'll be able to tell you what to put there when you've got a domain. You'd then need to take a database backup of your forum, you can do this via phpMyAdmin on your localhost. Then you'd need to upload the files to the host, create a new database, and import your backup to it. Finally you'd need to edit ./inc/config.php to point to the new database.

Sounds like a lot of steps but we'll be able to help you with any bits you're unsure of.
(2009-11-30, 10:40 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]No you can keep everything... once you've got a host and a domain, and your domain is pointing to your host's file root (your host will be able to help you sort that out) you'd need to go to ACP > Configuration > General Configuration > and change your Board URL and cookie settings to reflect the new URL; we'll be able to tell you what to put there when you've got a domain. You'd then need to take a database backup of your forum, you can do this via phpMyAdmin on your localhost. Then you'd need to upload the files to the host, create a new database, and import your backup to it. Finally you'd need to edit ./inc/config.php to point to the new database.

Sounds like a lot of steps but we'll be able to help you with any bits you're unsure of.

thanks Matt!

I've made a backup of the forum as an SQL file from phpmyadmin. I've also changed the forum url and cookies path (although I'm not sure if I did the latter correctly, is it OK if I just re-wrote the full url with a trailing slash at the end?), but am now struggling with how to change the config.php.

First of all, do I have to move the downloaded SQL file into the folder where my database is? Second of all, how do I modify the config.php file to "point it" as you've said to my new SQL file?

Lastly, do I re-upload all of these the files in the "upload" folder using an FTP client or whatever they are called?

Thanks so much!
This tutorial will help u to move from one server to another or in same manners from Localhost to Domain server Relocating Site from localhost to Domain Server

for config.php

Open your config.php and change these things
$config['database']['database'] = 'mybb';
$config['database']['table_prefix'] = 'mybb_';

$config['database']['hostname'] = 'localhost';
$config['database']['username'] = 'rex';
$config['database']['password'] = '120021';
--
$config['database']['database'] = 'mybb'; -> change only 'mybb' to 'cpanelloginname_databasename'
--
$config['database']['username'] = 'rex'; -> change only 'rex' to ''cpanelloginname_databaseusername'
--
$config['database']['password'] = '120021'; ->change only '120021' to 'password for databaseusername'
--

Thats it , then change settings.php in folder "inc" change all 127.0.0.1 to your domain
BOY am I frustrated right now!

I somehow accidentally deleted the folder containing my files in htdocs of xampp and now cannot make a new database! My forum is in ruins!

Everytime I try to install a new forum i get the error shown in the picture attached to this message.

What should I do? I'm totally freaking out. I don't know what I was thinking, but I was stupid and did delete the htdocs file.

ALSO, thanks for the tut link.
You need to put in a database name, after creating it in phpMyAdmin.

Also, if you deleted the htdocs folder you didn't need to install, the database would have been fine...
(2009-12-02, 08:13 AM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]You need to put in a database name, after creating it in phpMyAdmin.

Also, if you deleted the htdocs folder you didn't need to install, the database would have been fine...

Matt --

I have been changing the "database server hostname" to the name of my database and it still is giving me the exact same error message.
nevermind, I see my mistake, d'oh!
Pages: 1 2