MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Optimizing SEARCH in MyBB (Found an ERROR)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
HI guys

I wanted to optimize MyBB's searching...

2 things i need to do:

1) Set the MINIMUM characters for a keyword
I want to set the minimum keyword for user's keyword to 3 characters.. because it takes some load of the database..

I tried searching this site's forums just to see.. and my keyword is "a" .. and it allowed e to do search.. however.. it paused for quite a long time.. and then returned an error

Quote:mySQL error: 2013
Lost connection to MySQL server during query
Query: UPDATE users SET lastactive='1137303622', timeonline=timeonline+4 WHERE uid='XXXX'

(similar to http://community.mybboard.net/showthread.php?tid=4759)
I tried this 3 times.. same results ..

in between each try i searched using a kyeword of more than 3 characters... it was successful.. this rules out any problem on my side.. or "glitches".. it's very consistent..

YOU GUYS TRY IT.. lemme know if you get the same unusually long PAUSE and ERROR also

2) Change the default settings
Change the DEFAULT search setting from

search entire post

to

search titles only

if there is no AdminCP setting to do the 2 options above, can someone point me to what file i should modify to do this manually?

Please advise.

BrownCHiLD
Nice suggestions

bests.
imei
The searching feature has known problems, and in one of the future versions searching will be revamped with fulltext searching implemented and so the search will perform much better.

Moved to suggestions forum.
Quote:The searching feature has known problems, and in one of the future versions searching will be revamped with fulltext searching implemented and so the search will perform much better.
I see.. that's great dennistt..

how about this:
Quote:2) Change the default settings
Change the DEFAULT search setting from

search entire post

to

search titles only

if there is no AdminCP setting to do the 2 options above, can someone point me to what file i should modify to do this manually?

i know this may not be a future feature as it is a default thing, so mind pointing me to the file and perhaps line number of where i should edit this? it's just a radiobox "select" value that i have to change anyway.