MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Plugin compatibility MyBB 1.4/1.6/2.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm currently looking at moving my (highly modded) phpBB 2 based forums to MyBB, and am looking at writing some custom plugins to replicate some of the features the mods I currently use have.

Is it likely that plugins will need rewriting for 1.6 and/or 2.0? I'm not expecting to hold anyone to any answers, just seeing if that information is known at this stage or not Smile

Thanks very much Big Grin
I think they said they expect some plugins to break (I know it was fairly low compared to 1.2-1.4) I think they said 20%? 1.6 is available at the SVN, i recomend you try it out, see how many of yours will break.

Hope that halped.
*Helped.

Also 2.0 is a rewrite. So yes, all will break, most likely.
1.6 should have a minimal impact on plugins, we hope most of them will just need the version compatibility changed and that's it, and if they do need changes to the actual plugin code it won't be anything huge. With 2.0 it's a total rewrite so no plugins will work whatsoever, it'll be very different. However 2.0 is a fair way off yet so I wouldn't worry about that right now.
Thanks guys - might make sense to have a look at 1.6 as it'll probably take me a while to write my plugins Wink
What features do you need to add. Maybe they are already created as plugins.
Most of what I want to add is already available as plugins (or is certainly almost there and would take a couple of tweaks).

There are two significant ones which aren't though. One is a registration system - this is an option used on certain threads for events or similar group activities where people can "sign up" for something, and state a preference. So it is rather like a vote/poll, but with the "votes" publicly visible, and the ability to remove/confirm "votes".

The other one is a vehicle profile plugin, whereby there is an extension to the profile which allows each member to select a vehicle, model and colour from a set of drop-down lists. This then puts a small icon on the postbit, and in the public profile, which can be used to quickly check that member's vehicle profile.

I've not found anything that would be suitable for those in my travels - but willing to be corrected Wink

The other consideration for writing these "from scratch" would be to ensure compatibility with the data currently stored for them in the phpBB version of the forum - I'm looking to move old data over to MyBB.
I am not so sure that I understood the first part but the second one from what I got, it can be done with the custom profile fielsd option built in Mybb.
With the custom profile fields, can one field be "linked" to a previous field, so its contents are dependent on what the user chooses in that previous field?

Sorry I've not been clear with the registration system, I'll dig out some images to see if that's better Smile