MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Duplicate email notifications
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
To test, I subscribed to a thread and only received the single email notification. I still have no idea where to look.
I still have yet to duplicate this problem myself. Some users are still getting 2-4 email notifications for one subscription thread.

One user replied;
Quote:For me, I'll get 2-4 emails with only one new response.

Plus, I thought it was set up to where you won't get another email until you visit that thread again.

Is it true that it is setup that they do not receive another email until they visit the thread?
(2010-01-04, 05:20 PM)gimmezell Wrote: [ -> ]I still have yet to duplicate this problem myself. Some users are still getting 2-4 email notifications for one subscription thread.

One user replied;
Quote:For me, I'll get 2-4 emails with only one new response.

Plus, I thought it was set up to where you won't get another email until you visit that thread again.

Is it true that it is setup that they do not receive another email until they visit the thread?

I also am unable to duplicate this happening on any board. And yes, it is true that they should only get 1 notification until they visit the thread again.
This has to be something to do with your host sending the email, I can't see why MyBB would be running the code to send emails more than once like this.
(2010-01-04, 06:01 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]This has to be something to do with your host sending the email, I can't see why MyBB would be running the code to send emails more than once like this.

Here's a thought. Try SMTP mail instead of sendmail.

Use any of the free servers on this list, I suggest using Comcast, Charter, Verizon, or one of the other big providers. They're all password free and free to use outgoing mail servers.
http://www.e-eeasy.com/SMTPServerList.aspx
(2010-01-04, 06:02 PM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-01-04, 06:01 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]This has to be something to do with your host sending the email, I can't see why MyBB would be running the code to send emails more than once like this.

Here's a thought. Try SMTP mail instead of sendmail.

Use any of the free servers on this list, I suggest using Comcast, Charter, Verizon, or one of the other big providers. They're all password free and free to use outgoing mail servers.
http://www.e-eeasy.com/SMTPServerList.aspx

I currently am using SMTP via my host. What you suggest is that I use my Comcast account to send mail? I assume that won't raise any "red flags" on their end right?
I wouldn't even use your account. Just use it without a username and password. Unless they've changed it in the past 3 years (possible of course), you don't need to submit your user information for outgoing mail. Just put in the smtp.comcast.net for the server and the proper port (I think Comcast uses the default port) and you should be all set. See if that resolves the issue.
smtp.comcast.net didn't work.

Quote:The mail server does not understand the MAIL FROM command. Reason: 550 5.1.0 Authentication required
(2010-01-05, 03:59 AM)gimmezell Wrote: [ -> ]smtp.comcast.net didn't work.

Quote:The mail server does not understand the MAIL FROM command. Reason: 550 5.1.0 Authentication required

Ok, they require authentication now. Probably because they had too many spammers using them. Try one of the others and keep trying till you find one thats still open.
Pages: 1 2 3