MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to hide Categories and Forums for certain Groups?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm building a Board for mostly internal things, but will open some Forums to Guests.
After they habe been registered and approved by the Admin, they will be moved into a specific Group with more permissions to some of the hidden Forums.

I started with a category and a forum, where I have completely removed any permission to the Goup 'Guests'. But on the portal page, a Guest can still read the title of both.
Klicking on it will present him the login page, that's fine. But a Guest should not see my internal Forums, which might carry customer names in the Forum Name.

As I said: I completely removed any Permission, even the ones behind the 'Edit Permissions' link in that Group's row.

Any hint would be appreciated.
Thanks
EDIT:
The ideas below might help motivate people to make a purchase, to get "VIP Access", but....
There is an easy way:

Just uncheck "can view" for guests in the forum permissions. Then the forum names do *not* show at all.

#############

FYI:
  • To combine the two ideas, you could allow guests to see the words "VIP Entrance", but not the sub-sub forum titles.

###
Hi welcome to MyBB forums,
I can think of at least one way:

1) Make a Forum named "premium", "private" or whatever name you want, and only allow your premium custom group (or all registered members)

2) Then make an 'extra' sub-forum called "VIP Entrance"; This first-level sub-forum (by default) shows on the index page (EDIT: See notes above) where you want privacy for your customers.

3) Now, create any number of sub-sub forums (children of the "VIP Entrance" sub-forum), which will not show on the index page.

Anyone who clicks on the upper-most ("premium", "private") link will not be able to see the list of sub-sub forums, unless they have permission.

#
The above plan should work, I'm off to check right now. Smile
(2009-12-10, 07:11 AM)seeker Wrote: [ -> ]Just uncheck "can view" for guests in the forum permissions. Then the forum names do *not* show at all.

Thank you for your answer.
But that ist exacly what I did (see Pictures), but it does not work as expected.

Where can I check, what's going wrong?

I even thought about your 3 level Design, to hide something, but imagine a structure like

-products (visible to Staff and Customers, not for Guests)
-- Product A (Visible only to Staff)
---- something (Visible only to Staff)
-- Product B (visible to Staff and Customers, not for Guests)
----Documentation (Staff and Customers, not for Guests)
----Forum (Staff and Customers, not for Guests)
----Internal Documents (Staff only)

I want to hide the Forums to groups which are not allowed to view them.
The 3 level Design won't help either.

Thanks
Stefan
Sorry for asking again, but I can not believe, that this is the intended design...

Everybody tells me 'just uncheck /can view/' and it should disapear...
But it does not.
Which DB field or set my I check for this?
Which File will be used for it and might require special chmod?

Thank you.
Stefan
Your first thumbnail is correct, when I unchecked it and logged out, then the forum title disappeared.
(2009-12-12, 03:49 AM)seeker Wrote: [ -> ]Your first thumbnail is correct, when I unchecked it and logged out, then the forum title disappeared.

Fine, thanks.

But what is going wrong with my installation?
The forum title does not disappeare!?!Dodgy

Any ideas?
Well,
Hundreds (even thousands) of other people do *not* have the same problem Toungue, so...
There must be an answer:

1) FTP is usually very reliable, but maybe a file is messed up.
You could re-upload a fresh set of files, just *make sure* you don't overwrite your inc/settings.php and inc/config.php files
2) Do you have more than one web-hosting account, so you can use the other one?
3) Does everything else seem to be working?
Found something in the /inc/function_forumlist.php

// If this user doesnt have permission to view this forum and we're hiding private forums, skip this forum
			if($permissions['canview'] != 1 && $mybb->settings['hideprivateforums'] == 1)
			{
				continue;
			}

It turns out, that the canview prameter works only in conjunction with hideprivateforums

And, as of my current investigations... it works fine.
Is this the intended solution?

Thanks Stefan
I have a same problem. Angry Angry

Is this a bug or what?