MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Help! Moving my board to a new server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am just about to move my board from a shared server to a new Virtual Dedicated Server.
I always run into trouble doing this on my own, but maybe me posting this some of you can guide me as i go?

I PMed MattRogowski to help move it, but i think he is very busy.. i understand.
Before i get started, i was going to pay him $50.00 US to do it all for me.
I must get this done now.. asap, i can not wait days unfortunately. Our current server is a nightmare.
So if you are a staff member here and want the job, then i can stop now and you can PM me.. hehe

Sorry, unless you are staff here, i can't trust you not knowing you.

Here is what i am working with.
Board files - 24MB
Database - 367MB uncompressed. 52MB Compressed (tar.gz)

Ok, so..
1 - I closed the current live board now.
2 - Disabled all the plugins, did a db backup.
3 - Downloaded the board files and db from the live server.
4 - Uploaded the board files to the NEW server.

Only the db left now to take care of, And the other config changes.

Now brings in the new Cpanel on my new Virtual Dedicated Server.
Things are not as simple here as they were in the shared server Cpanel. From what i can see, i must use phpMyAdmin to create the new db on the new server.

I will stop here till i get some helpful info, no sence in me going on more.
If you can, a step by step would be awesome to install this db.. then i can do this.
I hope phpMyAdmin will let me import a 55MB Compressed (tar.gz).

*Although i would rather just pay someone to do it via paypal. You can make a quick $50.00
I can supply the db file via mediafire.com.. they are fast! You will not need to download via FTP from my old server.

Thanks!
I already read that, its not helping me right now with the db.
I can not use phpmyadmin to import the db, it times out.. to big 55MB Compressed (tar.gz)
I can also not use the boards built in import db.. again.. times out... to big.
If it was that easy, i would not be asking for help. I still need another way to to import the db.

Thanks for your efforts Smile

Anyone help?
Hmm. It it just the forum? Is you VPS managed? If its managed they may help you. Try kill other proccess on the server to let more ram be available. Good question also, how much ram do you have?
I can also try to Tar.gz it better if you like?
VPS is not managed.. i must do it myself.
The server has 256 MB RAM Guaranteed (1 GB RAM Bursted)

That should not be the issue here.
I have had this issue on servers before with 2GB Guaranteed. That should not matter.
This is why i have always just payed someone to do it in the past. So whatever they did, i need to do the same.

A few years ago i had a friend do this for me. Same server.. same ram count.
That db was twice this size.. so, what the hell was if he did? He is no longer around for help.
Update, i tried BigDump .. did not work!
Update, tried SSH.
No luck with that. Works well, but am lost on using it. Yes.. i used google and did some reading Toungue

When viewing my server via ftp, i can't see all the files i see when viewing via the Cpanel.
Its a dir thing.. i know. Not sure about that anyways. Looks like i will wait for Matt to help when he has time.

I can see why people pay others to do things like this for them.
Leave it to the pros.. thats whats best.. because thats what they do Wink

Easy stuff for the people with the knowledge.
That is the issue the Ram. Cpanel it self needs at least 256 megabytes to run. So just wait till late tonight and try. *To gather as much of the burstable as possible.*

If that doesn't work, contact your host and ask them, if they could upgrade your plan for 24 hours, so that you can load your forum, then be downgraded. \

Are you sure the database is 55mb? Not the whole forum in the tarball?

And if you want, i can try to tackle it at work tomorrow using SSH. (I work with servers Toungue so i'm sure i can work something out)
Thanks Mark Smile

I have lots of ram left as you see here
[Image: 2qdtk4m.jpg]

Like i said, I have had this issue on servers before using phpmyadmin with 2GB of ram. So its gotta be the limitations of phpmyadmin.

Yes, Database size is 367MB uncompressed. 52MB Compressed (tar.gz) Board files are 24MB

I think SSH is going to be need, i don't see any other way.
I can't believe how much bulls**t is involved in something that should be easy.
As far as i am concerned, phpmyadmin sucks and needs a lot of improving to handle bigger db's
File to import (Max: 2,048 KiB) to upload a db.. LMAO!! Thats a frickin JOKE!!

I thank you for your offer to help Mark, but i will wait for Matt as i already asked him.
He has PMed me now and said he will do it maybe Saturday. If he can't being tied up, then i will let you know.

Your interest in this is appreciated Smile
Well again, i can do it tomorrow for sure. (Me only working part time, means i have a crampt small server room, as my desk Toungue)
Can I suggest if it times out why not import the db table at a time?
(2009-12-11, 08:32 AM)Polarbear541 Wrote: [ -> ]Can I suggest if it times out why not import the db table at a time?

This i didn't know.
You can do this?

Thats cool.
Pages: 1 2