MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Overloading Server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok well, my host told me that my forums is the main reason why my server overloaded last night and I can agree with that because over 100 people registered with over 1k impressions in just one night. Is there anyway where I can prevent or help reduce the chance of getting overloaded servers? Maybe not send e-mails for people to validate their account? Cache? Not sure what to do.
I would have thought 1000 isn't massive for any decent host really. Who are you hosted with?? I think MyBB Central is on a shared host, that must get the same sort of traffic.
http://webhostinggeeks.com/user-reviews/...item_id=22 <-- Review of my web host

Not sure if this will help:
Quote:Generated in 0.1090651 seconds (82.65% PHP / 17.35% MySQL)
SQL Queries: 18 / Global Parsing Time: 0.0647230 / Memory Usage: 8.25 MB
PHP version: 5.2.9 / Server Load: 3.6 / GZip Compression: Disabled
Do you have a shoutbox on your site? Those can cause really bad load if they refresh their content every second, so if you have 100 people on your site it's 100 requests per second for the shoutbox... may be even more than one request per person if they use tabbed browsing and have several tabs open. Checking the access.log for the time period in question could help clear things up, if you see thousands of shoutbox requests in there that will be the reason.

The server load is pretty high on that machine (anything over 1.0 is bad).
I disabled the shoutbox on my site and this is what I got

Quote:Generated in 0.0917959 seconds (86.91% PHP / 13.09% MySQL)
SQL Queries: 14 / Global Parsing Time: 0.0502400 / Memory Usage: 7 MB
PHP version: 5.2.9 / Server Load: 3.63 / GZip Compression: Disabled

And where can I find the access.log?

Ok after searching around I found this nice little guideline to help lower my server load and it worked but it's still not under 1:

Quote:Generated in 0.0855601 seconds (89.26% PHP / 10.73% MySQL)
SQL Queries: 14 / Global Parsing Time: 0.0467391 / Memory Usage: 7 MB
PHP version: 5.2.9 / Server Load: 2.31 / GZip Compression: Enabled

Here is the link to the guideline: http://www.webmasterforums.biz/thread-925-page-2.html

I still would like to reach under 1 though. Also just wondering if I make it where I send people a e-mail to validate their account affect my server load or no?
Hello
I had a simular problem, and chat was the main killer.
Also I had a lot of plugins at the time (Trying to make my site the best in the world)Angel
I have removed a lot of my plugins, but kept the most important, like "email on reg", "thankyou" "analytics" and "hide links to guests"

Here is my info
Generated in 0.1136539 seconds (93.36% PHP / 6.64% MySQL)
SQL Queries: 11 / Global Parsing Time: 0.0363710 / Memory Usage: 4.75 MB
PHP version: 5.2.9 / Server Load: 1.79 / GZip Compression: Disabled

If you continue to watch this it changes all the time.
Another thing is it depends on the hosts and what servers they are using. I have seen my server load go to 26.00. Emailed the host straight away. And they informed me that it was their problem.

Work with you host through their ticket system, testing all plugins. Start from Nil plugins and work your way up.

Geoff
I have been they end up blaming my forums rather than their server
yea mine jumped over 5 on my server load

Here is a list of plugins that are activated:

Advanced Quick Reply Form (1.0.3)
Auto Media (1.1.4)
Fit on Page (2.2)
Google SEO (1.1.7)
HTML Permissions (2.0)
My Ad Manager (1.1.4)
NewPoints (1.0)
PM On Registration (1.2.0)
You Got Mail (1.0)
I need massive help now

Quote:Generated in 0.1111500 seconds (71.58% PHP / 28.42% MySQL)
SQL Queries: 13 / Global Parsing Time: 0.0495310 / Memory Usage: 7 MB
PHP version: 5.2.9 / Server Load: 8.78 / GZip Compression: Enabled

Didn't touch it at all except tweak the optimization option like the tutorial said
I just had a look at the link you posted earlier.
Another good reason to work with the host to lower your S/L.
Try just shutting down "Fit to Page" first then "Auto Media" and wait a day then check your S/L.
If it has dropped you will know it may be one of them. If not try two more, and so on... Until you get the culprit.
Geoff
Thanks for the advice but I found out it's the Google SEO plugin that takes up the most. I remove that and my server load dropped dramatically
Well done.. I knew it would be a process of elimination
Geoff
Pages: 1 2