MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: New users - PM and Subscription defaults.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there any possible way to set the default for new users to allow PM's and to NOT subscribe to threads. What a pain! I'm hoping that I just missed something during the setup of the forum??? (but I can't find the setting in the configuration pages)

I just converted from wowBB to the myBB system and everyone is tagged for no PM's and they are subscribed to posts. Alas they are receiving a ton of unwanted email.

#1 - I want to make sure NEW users are setup properly so they don't have to go and manually change those settings.

#2 - I need to run some kind of script to set all PM's to YES, and all thread subscribe default to none.

Any help would be appreciated!
http://www.StogieChat.com/forum/

"admin"
This one will unsubscribe them from all current subscriptions (ignore the text output being incorrect, it works); just upload it to your forum's root directory and run it.

[attachment=16508]

As for the PMs, do you mean PM notifications? Or being able to receive them?
(2009-12-12, 11:48 AM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]This one will unsubscribe them from all current subscriptions (ignore the text output being incorrect, it works); just upload it to your forum's root directory and run it.

being able to receive pm's
thanks!
(2009-12-12, 04:50 PM)ebturner Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-12-12, 11:48 AM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]This one will unsubscribe them from all current subscriptions (ignore the text output being incorrect, it works); just upload it to your forum's root directory and run it.

being able to receive pm's
thanks!

PROFILE: Messaging and Notification
"Receive private messages from other users."
I want to make sure that everyone has the box checked to receive messages from other users. Actually, I want that to be the default setting for all new users. Also want "do not subscribe" to be a default for all new members. Is that possible?
Both of those should be the default for new users already.

If they had set those options on the other board, pre-merger they should (SHOULD) have the same settings now.
Yeah, that's already the default.
ok, it must have been something with the merge from wowBB system. Everyone had subscriptions ON, and nobody can receive PM's.
Angry

If anyone has a script (because I don't know php well), I would be thankful for one that will set everyones account to allow PM's from others.

and ralgith, thank you for the php script to fix the subscriptions. A+

-Eric
Oops, I missed the bit about converting.

UPDATE `mybb_users` SET `receivepms` = '1';

That should do it.
Hmm, You're welcome. But I guess I need to look at the Merger code for that, I wrote it and it SHOULD be taking their current settings for both of those things. I know that originally I had the PMs set backwards, but I thought we corrected it. Of course, it may be a regression from when I reverted to an earlier backup due to a drive corruption. I'll look into it. Thanks.
(2009-12-14, 02:03 AM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm, You're welcome. But I guess I need to look at the Merger code for that, I wrote it and it SHOULD be taking their current settings for both of those things. I know that originally I had the PMs set backwards, but I thought we corrected it. Of course, it may be a regression from when I reverted to an earlier backup due to a drive corruption. I'll look into it. Thanks.

Thanks! It was converted from wowBB which does not have a setting to refuse PM's. Perhaps that is where the problem came in? All of the members who were converted have the setting to not allow PM's from others. While I did put a notice on our forum FAQ section, I'm still getting many emails and comments that users cannot receive PM's and seeing posts telling certain members to turn their PM's on. LOL!

If you have the time, I would greatly appreciate a script to switch them all ON since that probably should have been set to "on" during the conversion process. Also, a BIG THANK YOU for writing the conversion software to begin with. I was thinking I would be stuck in wowBB land for life.
I only wrote the wowBB module Smile Not the whole conversion software. But Matt already gave you the fix for the PMs. Just run this query in your phpMyAdmin:

(2009-12-13, 09:13 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]
UPDATE `mybb_users` SET `receivepms` = '1';

If you don't have that capability, then I can also write it into a quick script for you. Let me know.

Oh yeah, and FYI, I don't know where its set at in the actual software, but wowBB DOES have a database table entry for it. Named user_enable_pm. And it even works the same as MyBB's, a setting of 1 allows PMs and a setting of 0 doesn't. So I'm not sure yet what happened there. I've yet to go review my code.