MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: SMF 2.0 RC2 to MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hi,

I know that converting from SMF 2.0 isn't possible, but I was wondering if there was any forum software that DOES support it, so all I have to do is convert twice. I looked at phpBB's site, but they only have converters for SMF 2.0 Beta.

Thanks
It'd probably be better to wait until it's properly released. This is the problem with writing converters for beta/RC software, when it's updated next, the converter won't work properly, it's a waste of time really.
The database structure hasn't changed in the last few RC's though. And I wrote (somewhere... not sure where I saved it atm), a converter for this. However no one seems interested in paying for it, so it'll sit there doing nothing lol.
(2009-12-13, 01:03 PM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]The database structure hasn't changed in the last few RC's though. And I wrote (somewhere... not sure where I saved it atm), a converter for this. However no one seems interested in paying for it, so it'll sit there doing nothing lol.

Why don't you release it for free if it sits there doing nothing. All you seem to do is to let others know that they can hire you. We got that already.
You can convert to phpbb CAwesome and then convert to mybb.
Money, that_guy, money. Many people won't do it just because a person really needs it.
(2009-12-13, 03:49 PM)FullMetalBabe Wrote: [ -> ]Money, that_guy, money. Many people won't do it just because a person really needs it.

That reminded me of that ABBA song, Money money in a rich man''s world.. Big Grin
(2009-12-13, 01:03 PM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]The database structure hasn't changed in the last few RC's though. And I wrote (somewhere... not sure where I saved it atm), a converter for this. However no one seems interested in paying for it, so it'll sit there doing nothing lol.

Actually it has changed quite a bit since the latest rc. But it won''t change much in the future rc''s versions/final.

Anyway, why don''t you at least give that person a chance to do it his/herslef by releasing the convertor for free. I mean if it sits doing nothing as mentioned above and no one seems willing to pay for it, why waste it? And

It is another thing if someone wants you to actually do the conversion for them, then you can charge all you want. But that is how I see it. If I had more free time I would have taken a shot at creating converters myself.
@CAwesome, try the suggestion posted by that_guy above. It is worth a shot.
(2009-12-13, 03:49 PM)FullMetalBabe Wrote: [ -> ]Money, that_guy, money. Many people won't do it just because a person really needs it.

Correct. My time is mine to use as I choose. If I'm going to be bothered going through my backups to find it, and having already spent more of my time writing it, it'll be because I'm paid for it.

(2009-12-13, 05:20 PM)babjusi Wrote: [ -> ]

Actually it has changed quite a bit since the latest rc. But it won''t change much in the future rc''s versions/final.

Between RC1, RC1 1.2 and RC2 I've not seen any important (to the converter) db changes.

Quote:Anyway, why don''t you at least give that person a chance to do it his/herslef by releasing the convertor for free. I mean if it sits doing nothing as mentioned above and no one seems willing to pay for it, why waste it?

Our asking price for our custom convert modules for do-it-yourselfers is a whopping $10. Wow.

Quote:And
It is another thing if someone wants you to actually do the conversion for them, then you can charge all you want. But that is how I see it. If I had more free time I would have taken a shot at creating converters myself.

Which we do that also.
Sure, ralgith, your time is yours and only you can decide how to use it. If you would leave the converter rot away rather than puttitng it to good use, it is your choice. You wrote it and you can do whatever you want with it. I don''t want to go into a discussion/argument with you over that or anything else cos it ain''t woth the negative energy.
Had the same problem awesome! I accomplished this by going to phpbb site and having Dicky convert the smf to phpbb for me. But i had to pay $20.00 for it...rofl. Then had to merge to mybb afterwards. But if you are hellbent on it like i was....its worth it.
And you could have had my converter direct for $10... lol
Pages: 1 2 3 4