MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: I need advice- have to move my forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If things are not hectic enough this time of year, my host took a dump on me today and my forum is gone.
I have signed up with another host and will need to load my site to them.
What is the best way to do that..
should I load a fresh copy of mybb and then upload my most recent database? Or should I use the copy of my board I downloaded through FTP on November 15th with the latest database of December 12th?
use the latest database you have Smile also upload all the files which you have of your forum or else you would have to face alot of database issues...
just upload your backup database... Big Grin
I just did this -

First on the new host, I created the new DB for SQL.
Then I backup all files and folders from the old host and FTP to the new host and set permissions
Then I backup the SQL DB on the old host and install to the new host.
Edit the config.php (from the backup) and put the new host SQL DB info in there and upload.
Test it out.
(2009-12-13, 03:51 AM)Starnova Wrote: [ -> ]should I load a fresh copy of mybb and then upload my most recent database? Or should I use the copy of my board I downloaded through FTP on November 15th with the latest database of December 12th?

The database is from 1.4.10, yeah?? If so, upload whatever files you have, then upload the whole 1.4.10 package over it (so you know you've got all your attachments etc as well as all the 1.4.10 files) then install fresh, drop the new tables in phpMyAdmin, and import your backup.
How big is your db btw?
It's small 3.24MB I can upload that without a problem. Thank you for all your help friends. I had the chance to recover a copy of my entire forum via FTP last evening, and I also have the database now updated from today.
Now all I need is the info. from the new host which I expect to be in my email later today. There is a 24hr cooling off period I guess. Tonight I will stay up and follow the instructions LOL... Have to bake cookies today...but now I feel more relaxed. Thanks
(2009-12-13, 01:26 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-12-13, 03:51 AM)Starnova Wrote: [ -> ]should I load a fresh copy of mybb and then upload my most recent database? Or should I use the copy of my board I downloaded through FTP on November 15th with the latest database of December 12th?

The database is from 1.4.10, yeah?? If so, upload whatever files you have, then upload the whole 1.4.10 package over it (so you know you've got all your attachments etc as well as all the 1.4.10 files) then install fresh, drop the new tables in phpMyAdmin, and import your backup.

Matt I am not certain why I first need to upload the entire 1.4.10 package over the files I uploaded via FTP, and then install a fresh copy. Won't that cause me to have to reinstall all my plugins and php configurations?
Your files are from November 15th so they won't be 1.4.10 files. If you upload the files you have you'll have all your attachments etc, but then you'd need to upload 1.4.10 to get all the new files since then. And actually, yeah, as you already have files it probably won't be necessary to install, config.php is already setup, you'd just need to edit the new database details into it.
No .. I have a database that I downloaded yesterday December 14th. So.. I had the opportunity to download it before I got off the server. I only have a temp. page on the new server now. I cannot really do anything until the .com propagates. Right now my site is up on the new server temp page but I just cannot enter my admin.cp just yet.