MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is this allowed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi
I made a theme for my site that has a vertical menu. The only piece of it that is REALLY mine is the menu. The rest of the coding is bits and pieces from other peoples themes - specifically CAwesome and quacktacular.

I would not bother to offer it because of that except that the theme now has a CSS styled vertical menu. I looked through the theme releases in the mods area and not one has a vertical styled menu.

Is that a good enough reason to offer the theme - and should I be asking for permission from the original authors?

Here is a picture of the theme with the menu. The post buttons are all text based too, with a nifty mouseover effect.

[attachment=16522]
Read the licenses that came with the themes. If they say don't redistribute, they mean it. It doesn't matter how you redistribute it.

We don't enforce plugin and theme licenses, since they're not directly linked to MyBB. However, that doesn't mean the authors are going to be lax on their licenses.
Hi Doug

Thanks for the answer. The themes are released under creative commons licence and ask only that the original authors are credited (which its pretty obvious I intended to do since I made it clear in my post that this was NOT all my own work). Indeed, if the licence had said don't redistribute then I would have understood what that meant.

Now I will go work out how to offer this for upload to the themes area.
What they said, but nice theme, lovin' it!
Tarnation. I dont have myBB 1.4.10 installed yet as I cant take the forum offline. I guess this means I cant upload my theme? The mods area says I have to keep up to date with releases....
Just made sure your theme says MyBB 1.4.X and you'll be fine.
I have put it in the mods queue. Fingers crossed.
I don't mind people modifying and redistributing, just as long as my copyright is left at the bottom in some shape or form, and you use the same license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0).
I had one on 1.2x with a vertical menu. If you want just release your header code as a tutorial.
Well, I will wait and see what the mods say (I have submitted a release thread), and indeed I will have a go at a tutorial. I'm not very good at explaining things though