MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: My Evergrowing List of Requests.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[P] = Plugin Request
[CM] = Code Modification

1. Hide Post Contents, Not Unapprove. [P]
The plugin should hide any user information and replace the post content with "The contents of this post have been hidden." Admin can still see the post contents upon request.

2. Hide Thread, Not Unapprove [P]
The plugin should remove any links to the topic and have text saying "This thread has been hidden." But Admin can still access the thread.

3. Change "Close/Open" to "Locked/Unlocked".[CM]
I don't like using the term closed and open, my users are used to Locked and Unlocked, how may I go about changing this?
[Bump]
The first two aren't viable; hiding the thread just for Administrators to see it is practically the exact same thing as unapproving it.

The code modification can be found in the language files. Either edit the following files in the Admin CP or alter the PHP files manually:
  • datahandler_post.lang.php
  • forumdisplay.lang.php
  • moderation.lang.php
  • newreply.lang.php
  • newthread.lang.php
  • showthread.lang.php
  • xmlhttp.lang.php
Find all references to a closed thread and replace the string with what you want it to say.
(2009-12-15, 08:39 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]The first two aren't viable; hiding the thread just for Administrators to see it is practically the exact same thing as unapproving it.

I partially disagree with this statement. When you unapprove the first post of a thread you have the side effect to make the thread totally disappear for normal members. It could be important in some situations of temporary moderation to keep the rest of the thread visible to other members.

For these reasons i am actually developping a plugin achiving a similar goal as thersdaily request, it will replace temporarily the content of the post with a message from the moderator leaving it visible even if it is the first one of the thread. Administrators and moderators would be able to see the whole content completely.

But i think it would be preferable to leave the author name and title visible to all, so the rest of the posts would have more meaning, anyway they could be edited easily...
(2009-12-15, 02:18 PM)exdiogene Wrote: [ -> ]I partially disagree with this statement. When you unapprove the first post of a thread you have the side effect to make the thread totally disappear for normal members. It could be important in some situations of temporary moderation to keep the rest of the thread visible to other members.

There shouldn't really be any need to unapprove the first post of a thread - without unapproving the entire thread. Surely the first post sets up the whole point of the thread, and if that isn't relevant, then it shouldn't really be a thread.
(2009-12-15, 02:49 PM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-12-15, 02:18 PM)exdiogene Wrote: [ -> ]I partially disagree with this statement. When you unapprove the first post of a thread you have the side effect to make the thread totally disappear for normal members. It could be important in some situations of temporary moderation to keep the rest of the thread visible to other members.

There shouldn't really be any need to unapprove the first post of a thread - without unapproving the entire thread. Surely the first post sets up the whole point of the thread, and if that isn't relevant, then it shouldn't really be a thread.

In some environments, you have to hide certain posts, rather than unapprove them, my users are used to people hiding posts, so am I and I find it easier to show them a post has been hidden so that they know something has been actioned.
(2009-12-15, 03:53 PM)thersdaily Wrote: [ -> ]In some environments, you have to hide certain posts, rather than unapprove them

What environments, exactly?
Thersdaily.net's environment, we're trying to adapt JaGEx's forum ways as much as possible to gain official fan site approval, it has confused my users me unapproving the posts, even if easier to post admin notes on threads.
That doesn't really define environment. In what circumstances would you unapprove the first post of a thread, where the entire thread doesn't need to be hidden?

I can see the need for a notice where posts have been unapproved in the middle of a thread, just not at the start...
OK, say I and the mods/admin left the board for a few days, a discussion had turned out good, however the first post was blatantly breaking a forum rule - I would want to hide that post rather than the whole thread because of the conversation coming from it.
Pages: 1 2