MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Unique views?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I searched the forum and couldn't find this. (Also, I submitted it as an idea).

I think the "views" counter should count unique views. The number of people who viewed a topic, not how many times someone viewed it.

Maybe the type of "views" count could be configurable by admin. Tot or Unique. If the admin chooses both it could be displayed as "yyy/xxx".

I know I've seen forums that count only unique views. I wasn't paying attention to which software they used. (Maybe vbulletin?).

Thanks
It's impossible. IPs are now mostly dynamic and thus it is impossible to track a unique count properly.
(2009-12-13, 07:53 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]It's impossible. IPs are now mostly dynamic and thus it is impossible to track a unique count properly.

I was thinking it would be done by the ID of a logged in user, and the session ID for a guest?
(2009-12-13, 08:06 PM)az2000 Wrote: [ -> ]I was thinking it would be done by the ID of a logged in user, and the session ID for a guest?

But if you close browser and/or delete cookies you will get a new session id.

Session id != unique
(2009-12-13, 08:15 PM)querschlaeger Wrote: [ -> ]But if you close browser and/or delete cookies you will get a new session id.

Session id != unique

I just

- signed out,
- deleted my "community.mybboard.net" cookie,
- closed my browser,
- visited as a guest,
- recorded my session ID
- closed my browser,
- visited as a guest,
- compared my session ID.

The two IDs were the same.

I know it wouldn't be a perfect count of unique visits. For example, a registered user could visit from another computer without logging in.

But, something seems wrong when I can sit on the same page, hit "refresh" repeatedly and bump the visit count up. It seems like attributing visits to user IDs and session IDs could make the counts more meaningful.

Mark
(2009-12-13, 08:38 PM)az2000 Wrote: [ -> ]I know it wouldn't be a perfect count of unique visits. For example, a registered user could visit from another computer without logging in.

That's the point. It's not an accurate counting.
The method MyBB uses IS accurate.
view = click = visit
(2009-12-13, 09:35 PM)querschlaeger Wrote: [ -> ]That's the point. It's not an accurate counting.
The method MyBB uses IS accurate.
view = click = visit

I guess I'm looking at this from the perspective where most forums don't allow a user to give kudos to himself or his own posts. That doesn't mean it guarantees the user won't register as someone else and do the same thing. It's just an attempt to make ratings/stars/karma more accurate.

To me, the "visits" count is like that. Is it really a "visit" when someone sits on a page and hits refresh? Would it be more accurate if repeat visits weren't counted? Even when a minority of repeat visits won't be detected?

I guess it comes down to what a person considers to be a "visit" and "accuracy." To me:

1. I'd rather know how many people visited my post, not how many times they did.
2. Accuracy is within the limitations of the web to identify unique visitors. It generally works. Just like preventing someone from giving themselves kudos generally works. It's an approximation toward a goal, and is as accurate as the web allows it to be.

Another way I look at it is, if "total" visits is accurate in the literal sense. How meaningful is it? It reminds me of people who put hit counters on their pages. I think most web designers believe that measurement is meaningless even though it's accurate.

It was just a thought. Like I said, I've seen other forums which reflect unique visits (within the constraints of the web). I might try to do a plug-in. I'd like to have that type of counting.
But, views don't really matter. There is a reputation system for thanking people. I looks at replys more than views as replys actually mean something.
(2009-12-13, 10:42 PM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]But, views don't really matter. There is a reputation system for thanking people. I looks at replys more than views as replys actually mean something.

If views don't matter, I guess that's a vote for getting rid of them. Smile

I kind of like them. They give me an idea of the board's activity, whether my post is being considered (and how much). If I should check back in 20 minutes or 2 hours. (Although, RSS or email subscription would be better for that.).

It just seems like if views are displayed, they should represent (within the capabilities of the web) unique views. But, maybe most people believe views should be like a "hit counter" and not reflective of individual consumption. Maybe I'm in the minority.

Personally, I'd like to have both. One column with xx/yy/zz (and a heading "Replies/Uniqs/Tot".).
I'm not saying they don't matter completely. Just they aren't a deciding factor in if I want to view a topic.
Pages: 1 2