MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: making backups and using them if there is a crash?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I go:

Tools and maint > data base backups > new backup > select all > structure and data > optimize selected tables > save as > done.

If I do this and something happens to my site (a defacement for example) or maybe something worse, will this backup file be able to reload all of the content I had from the backup date and before?

Thanks,
HelloItsMe
Yes, that's the idea of a backup, so you can import it if there's data loss and get it all back. It won't save attachments though as they're stored in the file system.
Also, if you have a large forum, then it is best to do the backups at phpmyadmin in the cp of your host rather than from the acp of your forum.
(2009-12-13, 09:37 PM)babjusi Wrote: [ -> ]Also, if you have a large forum, then it is best to do the backups at phpmyadmin in the cp of your host rather than from the acp of your forum.

Ty both for the quick replies, may I ask though, why you suggest this babjusi?
Cos it can''t handle it on large boards due to limits and restrictions. It is not just Mybb. This goes for almost any forum software btw.
(2009-12-13, 09:19 PM)helloitsme Wrote: [ -> ]If I do this and something happens to my site (a defacement for example) or maybe something worse, will this backup file be able to reload all of the content I had from the backup date and before?

No, since it's only a database backup. For a complete backup you need to backup the files too (for attachments, avatars, custom layout images, ...).