MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Opening Attached Images in Own Window?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm not sure whether this is a settings issue or should be a request for new feature. I apologize if this is in wrong section.

I would like to ask if it's possible to have attached images to open in its own, browser window, without launching of external applications. Is this something I can modify in settings to get or should I be asking for it as a new feature? If it's not supported, this about the inconvenience of users who have to click 4 times to get to the image (in Windows Vista). Loading attached image up in its own window would make the inconvenience go away.

One more question - is it possible to disallow members to delete their own threads/posts? By default, my members can delete their own posts as well as threads. If a member started a thread, they can delete it, which also deletes all replies form other members. Can this be turned off? Editing is one thing, but deleting the whole thing is another. Also, is there a way to time limit the option to edit?

I'm on v1.4.10
(2009-12-14, 03:37 AM)Tranny Wrote: [ -> ]if it's possible to have attached images to open in its own, browser window, without launching of external applications.

It should be by default. Check your postbit_attachments_thumbnails_thumbnail template.

<a href="attachment.php?aid={$attachment['aid']}" target="_blank">....</a>

Do you have that _blank target?

(2009-12-14, 03:37 AM)Tranny Wrote: [ -> ]is it possible to disallow members to delete their own threads/posts?

Set the permission in forum management. You can edit the permission in "advanced" mode.

There is permission like this:

Editing

[\/] Can edit own posts?
[\/] Can delete own posts?
[\/] Can delete own threads?
I'll need a bit more elaborate help, cause I'm not that familiar with the script:

1 - Where do I need to go to find that template?
2 - Is there a way to apply these changes across entire forum instead of going through each group individually?

PS - I think the way permission settings are handled is the most complicated ever. It couldn not have been done worse than it is, could it. Plus it doesn't even work. Is there something special I need to do in order for saved changes to take effect? I make changes, I save it, review it and no changes were saved.
After much struggle I have found the template. I've removed the target tag and behold - no change. It still tries to open the attachment in an external application (aka image viewing software)
EDIT:

looks like attachment issue is a global problem hence the topic belongs to "requests for bug fixes". Attachments should open in its own window, not try to launch in external application. The same happens on this site:

http://community.mybboard.net/thread-60732.html

It's extremely inconvenient to have to click four times to see an image opened. It would be more than wise to have this issue fixed and offer internal loading of attached images in the same window.
This change was done for security. It doesn't always happen to me in Chrome but it always does in IE, which is the browser that had the security issue.

Also what's wrong with the permissions?? They seems to work OK for other people...
(2009-12-14, 04:19 AM)Tranny Wrote: [ -> ]Plus it doesn't even work. Is there something special I need to do in order for saved changes to take effect?

After you click the "Set Permission" link, you will see this option on the top of the permissions settings page:

O Use user group permissions or inherit permissions from parent forums
O Use custom permissions (below)

Did you choose "Use custom permissions (bellow)" option when editing the permission?
You don't need to go there to set the permissions for deleting threads/posts, that's a setting in the usergroup permissions. ACP > Users & Groups > **choose group** > Forums and Posts > Can delete own posts?/Can delete own threads? So, it's actually done very well as you can set it globally per usergroup here, and also have a different setting per forum if you want.

For the edit time limit, there's a small search box on the Configuration page, if you type 'edit' into there...
That kind of helped, Matt. Thanks a lot. Except of course for the edit time limit which doesn't get saved. It remains at 0. I have settings.php and config.php CHMOD to 777 and even though it does give me an OK message that my settings were saved, when I go back to it, it remains at 0

PS - nevermind. It only shows zero when you do a search for it. Perhaps it could be looked at and fixed with next update.

PPS - is that attachment situation going to be fixed? Other scripts open attachments in own window, this one launches external application which is kind of brutal.
It shows the correct value when I search for it, doesn't always show 0. settings.php and config.php don't need to be 777, some hosts won't like that, 666 is fine, even 444 is OK for config.php.