MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Ban IP Range
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a not of spammers or potential ones registering from India. I have a listing of all the IP ranges for India.

But unless I am doing this wrong I am still getting registrations from banned ranges. I know they could be using proxy servers but this is what I am using for banned ranges.. not sure if spaces are needed between the * or not, I have not used them:

Example
122.160.0.0*122.191.255.255

I also try and ban them soon after they register but be easier to ban the IP range. But there are hundreds of IP ranges for India. Was trying to ban range as they register but its not blocking them.

I also have banned *.sify.com
But getting more from sify.com from India

Using ver 1.4.4
First of all.. you are lucky not to get hacked!
Update your ver to the latest 1.4.10
-----
About the spam issue.. just enable the email verification to post option Smile
If I remember right, you need to ban specific ranges. For example, 122.160.*.*, or 122.191.*.*

It just seems you're using it the wrong way...

http://mybboard.net/downloads - upgrade as soon as possible to 1.4.10. It fixes several high, medium and low security risks and over 150 bug fixes. [Wiki: Upgrading] (Broken link, head over to docs.mybb.com instead)
(2009-12-16, 08:42 AM)DotMRT Wrote: [ -> ]About the spam issue.. just enable the email verification to post option Smile

They DO e-mail verify! So its not bots.

Usually they don't post or I catch them within a few days before they do. A few posted nonsense posts but had to be human since somewhat related to a topic they posted to but was basically nonsense.

And its all coming from India IPs.
(2009-12-16, 09:08 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]If I remember right, you need to ban specific ranges. For example, 122.160.*.*, or 122.191.*.*

Thanks will try that way although its blocking smaller rangers that what I was trying to do.. but if it doesn't work that way have to do smaller iP ranges at a time.

There is another thread here I just found - lots of folks have same issue and they are human and register.

There is a plug in to now allow http links until so many messages. But that really won't work for me... blocking India IP addresses better. I have a local Phoenix board, no one in India should be on it !!

But India has many different IP ranges and not all continuous and has gaps within the first xxx and different first xxx's
OK So I am trying to ban 122.*.*.*

Not all of 122 is India but I am betting what isn't, is not from the U.S. or Phoenix!
Another option is to use your .htaccess file to perform the bans.
I've had the same problem from this/those people, just nonsence posts etc.
They registered 5 accounts with [email protected] email addresses so i disallowed the email:
*@sify.com

and banned the two ip ranges they were using.
121.246.*
122.169.*

Not seen anymore registrations since.
(2009-12-16, 06:59 AM)davephx Wrote: [ -> ]Using ver 1.4.4

Go and buy a lottery ticket, as you sir are a very lucky man.