MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Enabling "Ignore Version Compatibility"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello webmasters and coders
I have always been using SMF for my community sites, but now i have switched over to Mybb for one of my news sites and i am very optimistic.

Ok so here is my first query

If i enable the option of "Ignore Version Compatibility" while adding themes and use themes made for an older version.
How does this act effect the security of the Mybb site?
Is it advisable to do so?
It has nothing to do with security, it just lets you install 1.4.9 themes on 1.4.10 (etc, etc, etc).

Of course, installing a 1.2 theme to 1.4 will not work.
Yeah, some people think you can install a 1.1 or 1.2 theme by just ignoring it, doesn't quite work like that.

What this means is that some themes are made for a specific version, say 1.4.7. Between 1.4.7 and 1.4.10 some templates/CSS may have changed, so the templates in the theme aren't the 1.4.10 version, they were up to date for 1.4.7. Chances are the template changes are minor and won't affect your day-to-day use of the forum, so it's usually OK to ignore it, however you may want to revert the changed templates to default after.
(2009-12-17, 05:44 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]however you may want to revert the changed templates to default after.

After making note of any customizations you've made to it so you can remake them on th new version.
(2009-12-17, 05:44 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, some people think you can install a 1.1 or 1.2 theme by just ignoring it, doesn't quite work like that.

What this means is that some themes are made for a specific version, say 1.4.7. Between 1.4.7 and 1.4.10 some templates/CSS may have changed, so the templates in the theme aren't the 1.4.10 version, they were up to date for 1.4.7. Chances are the template changes are minor and won't affect your day-to-day use of the forum, so it's usually OK to ignore it, however you may want to revert the changed templates to default after.

SmileThanks for this info.....i have added a theme and it's working fine......
I believe MyBB 1.4.3 had security updates that included templates, thus it is not always such a good idea to ignore the version compatibility.
Quote:It has nothing to do with security, it just lets you install 1.4.9 themes on 1.4.10 (etc, etc, etc).

Not entirely true.

Ryan Gordon Wrote:I believe MyBB 1.4.3 had security updates that included templates, thus it is not always such a good idea to ignore the version compatibility.

There ya go.

You can view the XML file in notepad and see the templates that are custom for the theme. If it's simple stuff like header or footer then it's not likely to contain any exploits. You should though always use trusted sources for templates and check the XML file for what you think might be malicious code. My own themes use minimal template edits thus ensuring the highest compatibility.

What you can always try is adding a theme then altering the template set the theme uses to the default. That will surely secure templates and make sure they are using all current code.

On SupportForums.net I have all 4 themes using the same default template set. Makes it very easy to alter templates for my site in one place.