MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: $24.99 Per Year Unmetered Cpanel Hosting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I agree with vividWire, you should get way more organized and have smaller prices that do not oversell.

Also please run a spelling checker before you post Wink.
(2009-12-23, 01:11 AM)JamesSmith110 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, i agree, at the moment we are nowhere near that stage, it was kind of just a passing comment about a longterm goal. Maby it will be a good idea just to colocate rather than build a dc, who knows, what longterm will be the best option, colocating is oviously the best option at the moment for other shared hosts like host gator, but who knows in say 5 years time maby host gator will have there own dc..
I believe HostGator lease their servers from The Planet's facilities in Dallas and Houston (TX), as do Site5 - I was speaking with a representative from TP the other day when obtaining a quote and they tried to show it off to me. Even if you are a big company, colo or building a DC may not necessarily be the best option, and I've said this over and over again. Leasing hardware, despite being (in some cases) more costly in the long term, still has a great competitive advantage in the sense that you can rapidly expand with lower upfront costs - I've least some very nice hardware at rather reasonable prices in the past thanks to a good relationship with the data centers that I use. However, at the same time, colo gives you more control over what hardware you purchase, and following a high up front cost, you usually have lower month to month costs (unless hardware failure takes place).

(2009-12-23, 01:11 AM)JamesSmith110 Wrote: [ -> ]The server crashed under extreme presure from a ddos attack, i have rebooted the server and upped the firewall settings once more and as such the server seems to be stable again.
Do you not have any in house or outsourced support techs which could help you with such events? I've found that a mixture of server monitoring plans with SLAs and two uptime monitoring services can be a rather effective combination in combating any issues which may "come up". Maybe you should consider this in order to deliver a 24x7 service to your clients?

(2009-12-23, 01:11 AM)JamesSmith110 Wrote: [ -> ]The Figure was just an example and for illustation purposes, the figure came from (http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archi...n-finland/) with regard to a dc in finland.

As I'm sure many other Brits will agree (including yourself), land over here is incredibly expensive - in my area, a two bedroom house can set you back £390,000, even in a recession! Please also remember that IT hardware and building costs may also vary - therefore, the €200m figure is incredibly shaky, and to be honest with you, I don't believe it will give you an accurate picture if you were to compare it with other parts of the world.

(2009-12-23, 01:11 AM)JamesSmith110 Wrote: [ -> ]oviosuly on the above server without overselling you could only expect 250 clients based on the 1gb per client,(not factoring in bandwidth) as it would oviously in the long run be adventagious to keep the raid1 configuration, as it protects client data should the first drive fail

This is exactly my point - you haven't really thought this through properly. You cannot FIT 250 clients with a 1GB/client quota on a server with 2x250GB HDs in RAID1 without overselling - by the time a drive has been formatted, and an OS plus the necessary control panels etc have been installed, you won't have that amount at all. The way you're talking about it is also disturbing - do you not have a solution like this implemented on your servers?

(2009-12-23, 01:11 AM)JamesSmith110 Wrote: [ -> ]i presume you run/work for a hosting company ?

Yep, you're correct. "Own" is the word, and that also comes with the wonders of Hardware RAID1 or RAID10 on all of our servers along with offsite backups. Trust me, it really can save lives - otherwise, without a backup/solution to recover lost data, you're putting yourself at risk. Many people these days expect you to have something like this in place, so if you haven't done so already, I really would recommend investigating it.

By the looks of your site, you're with UK2, 10TB or one of their subsidiaries, and have a UK-based server. As a little word of advice, I suggest you look over at the deals in the US - far better connectivity, superior data centers and better pricing by far! Smile
(2009-12-23, 01:55 AM)vividWire Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-12-23, 01:11 AM)JamesSmith110 Wrote: [ -> ]The server crashed under extreme presure from a ddos attack, i have rebooted the server and upped the firewall settings once more and as such the server seems to be stable again.
Do you not have any in house or outsourced support techs which could help you with such events? I've found that a mixture of server monitoring plans with SLAs and two uptime monitoring services can be a rather effective combination in combating any issues which may "come up". Maybe you should consider this in order to deliver a 24x7 service to your clients?
Honestly at the moment, we do only have 1 tech me!! we do use uptime monitoring, and i get text messages when there is downtime, and i can usually fix reletively quickly.

(2009-12-23, 01:11 AM)JamesSmith110 Wrote: [ -> ]The Figure was just an example and for illustation purposes, the figure came from (http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archi...n-finland/) with regard to a dc in finland.

As I'm sure many other Brits will agree (including yourself), land over here is incredibly expensive - in my area, a two bedroom house can set you back £390,000, even in a recession! Please also remember that IT hardware and building costs may also vary - therefore, the €200m figure is incredibly shaky, and to be honest with you, I don't believe it will give you an accurate picture if you were to compare it with other parts of the world.

Yes, i do indeed agree, like i say it was just a ballpark figure for illustational purposes.

(2009-12-23, 01:11 AM)JamesSmith110 Wrote: [ -> ]oviosuly on the above server without overselling you could only expect 250 clients based on the 1gb per client,(not factoring in bandwidth) as it would oviously in the long run be adventagious to keep the raid1 configuration, as it protects client data should the first drive fail

This is exactly my point - you haven't really thought this through properly. You cannot FIT 250 clients with a 1GB/client quota on a server with 2x250GB HDs in RAID1 without overselling - by the time a drive has been formatted, and an OS plus the necessary control panels etc have been installed, you won't have that amount at all. The way you're talking about it is also disturbing - do you not have a solution like this implemented on your servers?

Yes it is indeed a raid1 configuration. yes you are correct again if you where to have the configuration you mention, it would be less than 250 without overselling, but the time you have included os, control panels ect, it would be marginally less than that number, os with panels is aproximatly 2Gb, so it would be 248clients maximum, without factoring in bandwidth ect (equally without including the fact that it would be adventagious to leave some space completly free and unassigned)

(2009-12-23, 01:11 AM)JamesSmith110 Wrote: [ -> ]i presume you run/work for a hosting company ?

Yep, you're correct. "Own" is the word, and that also comes with the wonders of Hardware RAID1 or RAID10 on all of our servers along with offsite backups. Trust me, it really can save lives - otherwise, without a backup/solution to recover lost data, you're putting yourself at risk. Many people these days expect you to have something like this in place, so if you haven't done so already, I really would recommend investigating it.
Good Advice.. 100% honestly i learnt the need for raid1 and offsite backups the hard way.. A year ago i used to resell from a company, hard drive crashed, they didnt have raid1, it ruined both my reseller rep and there rep, due to the downtime it caused (Note: the clients knew i was a reseller, i was upfront about being a reseller) after the troubles i promised myself i would never resell again i would do it propperly when i had the capital to do so.(and here i am now back and here to stay). I did not rip any clients off, it was not a fly by night or anything, the name+clients went to a guy who rented serveral dedicated servers and was looking to start his own hosting business, so the 3 clients got the duration of there term, i still speak to 2 of the clients infact one of the clients is my business partner for this venture)

(2009-12-23, 01:55 AM)vividWire Wrote: [ -> ]By the looks of your site, you're with UK2, 10TB or one of their subsidiaries, and have a UK-based server. As a little word of advice, I suggest you look over at the deals in the US - far better connectivity, superior data centers and better pricing by far! Smile

Yes we are uk based, we do indeed rent from a subsidiary of uk2. i will defently have a look at us based, thanks for the tip. do you have msn ?
Honestly, I only read the last 4 pages to hear what vividWire had to say. =p Should take in his advice cause that mofo knows what he's talking about.

I really haven't even visited your site and I know I wouldn't use your service. I mean I don't own my own hosting company but I think if I had a 250GB drive (1 backup, 1 main) even I would leave extra space for unforeseen issues. Would 5GB-10GB of ideal space be so bad? After all you do plan to expand so why be greedy?
Site has gone down, can a staff member close this, it'll just generate another conversation.
Don't reply to the spam. LoL.
(2010-03-19, 10:02 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]Don't reply to the spam. LoL.

Fail logic. You replied too Toungue
Site's down. So much for "not another fly-by-night".
Quote:The domain freehostingland.com has expired. If you owned this domain, please contact your domain registration service provider for further assistance. If you need help identifying your service provider, visit http://tucowsdomains.com.

(2009-12-19, 09:33 PM)JamesSmith110 Wrote: [ -> ]The server is virutually empty, we want enought clients on this server so we can go and buy another new server, expand expand expand, which is why i have launched this chrismas promotion, our goal is to colocate by this time next year, then ultimatly to have our own data center.

I think @JamesSmith110's web hosting fantasy is now over. I'll ditto what @CAwesome said; So much for "not another fly-by-night".

Anyone here looking for hosting at this kind of price should take this as a lesson - chances are it won't happen, and if it does, you may well find yourself getting burned a few months down the line.
(2010-03-19, 09:45 AM)Onloac Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly, I only read the last 4 pages to hear what vividWire had to say. =p Should take in his advice cause that mofo knows what he's talking about.

Would 5GB-10GB of ideal space be so bad

Yes vividWire is right, having spare space is always recommended.

(2010-03-19, 10:02 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]Don't reply to the spam. LoL.

Joe dont pretend you did not know, i was selling... you where the first person i contacted hopeing FHL could be murged with your free hosting company.. i hopeing someone like you with a Free hosting company could continue FHL, but you turned me down and dont prentend you didnt...

PROOF for anyone who may not believe me
[Image: pmkujoe.png]

(2010-03-19, 09:57 AM)cohen Wrote: [ -> ]Site has gone down
(2010-03-20, 12:13 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]Site's down. So much for "not another fly-by-night".
Well, i did not intend Free Hosting Land to be fly by night, we have more free than paid customers, we had 2 paid 1 month customers (which had expired) by the time i sold up (due to business partner pulling out and me wanting to more to only paid) over at digital point.

(2010-03-20, 06:52 PM)vividWire Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:The domain freehostingland.com has expired. If you owned this domain, please contact your domain registration service provider for further assistance. If you need help identifying your service provider, visit http://tucowsdomains.com.
Erm yes this was the new owner not ME, i had to sell up in december, due to my business partner pulling out and wanting his money back, plus me wanting to move to only paid, it was pretty much a forced sale, nothing more nothing less. i sold the company cheap hoping it would be murged with another host, but it seems the new owner let it die.... as the old owner i have really no control other that.

(2010-03-20, 06:52 PM)vividWire Wrote: [ -> ]I think @JamesSmith110's web hosting fantasy is now over. I'll ditto what @CAwesome said; So much for "not another fly-by-night".

Anyone here looking for hosting at this kind of price should take this as a lesson - chances are it won't happen, and if it does, you may well find yourself getting burned a few months down the line.

Well,VividWire it is not a Web Hosting fantasy, i have brought my own servers which i will be colocating this month, i have 3 servers already and am buying more, we are launching with 3 of our own servers... if the new owner of FHL agrees (which he may not) then i will be murging all clients into my new company, the 2x one month customers will get a free month. No one is going to get burnt as you put it...

i am a decent guy, i didnt and never will start a host as a fly by night, it just wont ever happen, i had to sell due to my business partner NOT due to choice, which is why i have started my own company with me as SOLE owner so i can run this new company forever, like i say i own my own servers now....

Hell you can have 1 month free dedicated, i have 3 servers almost ready to go up and 0 clients..... (if the FHL owner doesnt agree to me adding all old clients) even if he does i will still have 2 completly empty dedicated servers.

Life is a lesson, and i have learnt to be a sole owner, and not to co-own something.... very costly lesson but its a lesson learnt...

if you do not believe me about the sale go over to digital point... find me over there and you will see the sale thread there is ample proof, i made a loss by selling but my business partner wanted to sell...

anyway until another day i love you all and thank you for not supporting me ever... even when i tryied my best.

James
Ex Free Hosting Land Owner
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5