MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Email Verification AND Admin Activation - Possible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Currently when I choose Admin Approval as part of registration process, users are able to register with bogus email addresses because no email verification is required. But then if you have a busy board and lots of people register, you get bogus registrations with lots of crappy post so Admin Activation would be beneficial.

Is it possible to have Admin Activation proceeded with Email Verification (aka so only profiles with verified emails can be eligible for activation by an admin)? If not, can such essential feature be included with new update?
You can already do this. Set the email approval as the form of verification. Make the member group unable to post, or whatever you want the pre-admin-validation permissions to be. Now when you want to validate someone, upgrade their account manually.
That's not gonna work. Even if you could tweak the source files to keep users as "Unverified" after email verification so you can manually change them into "Registered" you will have no means of telling which of the "Unverified" verified their email and which did not.

If you don't mess with source code and allow the verification to upgrade the accounts to "Registered" but remove posting privileges from that group, then you would have to upgrade them into "Moderators" to give them the ability to post. But that would mean that actual moderators would be nothing. You'd have to turn them into supermoderators which doesn't always work, cause you only want some as super moderators.

Anyway... it would make sense for something this important to be part of the core. Same with the ability to choose after how many days accounts that were not activated should be deleted from the database so they don't clutter it up needlessly.
He's saying make a new group!

Change the default registered group to one that basically has no permissions. Then the new group will have normal permissions.

This way anyone in the default registered group has verified their emails and you can move them to the new group with normal permissions.

I don't get where you got source code modifcations at all.
How do I move all the members from currently "registered" group to the new group? If I am to restrict the "registered" group, I need to move all of currently registered members to a new group or else none of the regulars will be able to post. Or did we hit the wall with this "solution"?

...yeah, we hit the wall. This is not the solution, just an overcomplicated way to get around the limitations of the script, which in turn will cause additional overcomplications needed to make use of it. I hope developers take this into account...
Ok, just make the new group the new in between group. And, how is it over complicating things? Either way there needs to be something added somewhere and this a lot easier than a bunch of code edits. If your going to manually verify anyway why bother with having something in between?

We aren't the ones making this complicated, it's you. It's pretty simple and doesn't require a ton of work. This is the first time I've seen this requested as well so it's not something that everyone does.
How it's not complicated if it requires bunch of steps and semi steps to get it half way done. And once you're there, you basically got nowhere without messing directly with the database cause if you have 5,000 members, you will never be able to manually and individually change each to be a member of the new group. Again, this is not a solution, this is just an overcomplicated work around that's likely to cause more trouble than good.

If no one has asked for that, then people probably don’t even realize that when they opt for manual approval, they have members creating accounts with bogus email addresses. Everyone probably assumes it’s a no brainer that email verification would absolutely be a part of admin approval process, but it’s not like that. It doesn’t matter if you’re running a board with 20 posts a year and 3 new sign ups a month. But if you have a busier site, this becomes a serious issue as bad members could continue abusing your site and you have no tools available to do anything about it. If mybb doesn’t care about targeting larger sites, then OK, this will work. But if there is an intention to establish the script as a usable tool no matter what size the board you’re running, than this serious issue needs to be addressed asap.
Why would you need to do anything in the database?

It's not that hard you just don't know how to properly use the groups system it seems. We gave you a solution because the one you want won't be coming any time soon(if it does at all). You could probably pay someone to implement it, however I don't seeing it happening for free as there isn't really any demand.

I never said your idea was horrible just no need to modify the source code.
Tell me the secret then - how do you move 5000 users from "registered" group to newly created group?

PS - mybb support is notorious for lacks in just about every regard and you truly try hard to stay true to your reputation. Great job
As I said if you don't want to move just change the default group after email verification.

I would tell you step by step but I don't even have mybb installed right now to look.
Pages: 1 2