MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Does Any one Know of A Good DNS provider (free)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Right now i am with dyndns.org and It cost $30.00 a year and it runs out I think in feb and do to some money troubles i would like to start cuting costs
I know my isp "bell.ca" with its dynic ip and my dsl line that the ip hardly changes and i could just go to godaddy and put the ip in my self ever time it changes

But if there is a good Free dns provider then i would not have to and it saves $30.00
Umm
dyndns.org has a free DNS too.
I have a friend hosted on:
{hername}.mine.nu (one of DynDNS.org's domains)

And if you're looking for a domain of your own, you can do what I do...
I have a server at her house, which is also on DynDNS like that.
Only its {myname}.homelinux.net
And I then (I have a DNS account with www.omnis.com) I make a PROXY record that points to {myname}.mine.nu from whatever.domain.net

Then in my other domain (my public one)
I have cbtlist.dubrin.net which is a PROXY for www.dubrin.net/cbtlist/
And trl.dubrin.net which is a PROXY for www.dubrin.net/cbtlist/trl
And forum.dubrin.net which is a PROXY that points to www.dubrin.net/phpBB/
And lastly sandbox.dubrin.net which is a PROXY that points to my test site (my "sandbox")
I use dyndns.org and its automatic updater for a free static subdomain for my home IP address (something.homelinux.com as an example). At your DNS manager for your domain (either at your registrar or web host) you can set whatever host name of your DNS (root or subdomain) as a CNAME record to your free dyndns subdomain.
(2009-12-18, 11:41 PM)Dennis Tsang Wrote: [ -> ]I use dyndns.org and its automatic updater for a free static subdomain for my home IP address (something.homelinux.com as an example). At your DNS manager for your domain (either at your registrar or web host) you can set whatever host name of your DNS (root or subdomain) as a CNAME record to your free dyndns subdomain.

I prefer the PROXY to the CNAME, but both ways work.
so i did not have to pay for the custom dns cause i just want to use
www.site.ca and not www.site.dyndns.org
(2009-12-18, 11:44 PM)Howman Wrote: [ -> ]so i did not have to pay for the custom dns cause i just want to use
www.site.ca and not www.site.dyndns.org

We got that Wink
Omnis.com only charges $9.95 a year, so you'd cut out $20.05 out of your yearly costs with my method using the same DNS provider. You can use ANY provider you want that supports PROXY and/or CNAME records (Omnis supports both)
I will have to check that out

What happent to matts post about google dns they do have dns but they do not host i read that over at betanews.com or maybe keznews.com
http://www.omnis.com/
Thats a hosting provider
right now i run my own site off my home computer and my domain name with godaddy and dns with dydns.org

I see 6.95 year of course thats not cdn lololololol
ralgith i can not use http://www.omnis.com/

I put my domain in and i got this

We do not provide registration services for domain names with this extension.
We can provide web site hosting services for this domain name.
Thank you everyone for your Quick responses and your help

and a merry X mass to everyone here at MyBBoard.net
Didn't google release one?
Pages: 1 2 3