MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Load large images fast?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Lets say I want to have a large wallpaper as background for a website (2000x2000). Any ways on making those load fast?

Thanks
Depends on the type of wallpaper - mind posting it here?
Compression is the only way I believe. Mainly depends on filesize.
Like Scoutie said, you could try compressing it with Photoshop's web format tool.
It will be maybe 20 wallpapers that have to cover the entire screen as background. They will randomly appear and change every time you refresh.

Lets say the Default wallpapers that come with Windows Vista/7.
give everyone who visits your site fiber?

But, not really especially if there is going to be more than one.
Interlacing? (will that help at all? lol?)
It depends heavily on the pictures which format works best. For images with large, flat areas and sharp lines I think PNG works better. For images that tend to have a lot of gradients and smoother transitions JPEG is better. It has to do with how the images are compressed.

IIRC most of the default backgrounds with Vista/7 are relatively highly optimized JPEGs.
change format from RGB to indexed
(2009-12-23, 07:51 AM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]It depends heavily on the pictures which format works best. For images with large, flat areas and sharp lines I think PNG works better. For images that tend to have a lot of gradients and smoother transitions JPEG is better. It has to do with how the images are compressed.

IIRC most of the default backgrounds with Vista/7 are relatively highly optimized JPEGs.
JPEG will almost always beat PNG if the compression is set high enough, as the former is a lossy format and latter is lossless.

If the image is "simple", the filesize will be small, otherwise, there's a reason why the majority of sites do not have full size background images.
Pages: 1 2 3