MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Plugins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would like to suggest that plug-ins not be allowed for download from mybboard.net if either they do not work or are not being supported by their authors.

Thank you,

coolcos
We can't exactly remove a plugin as the author has chosen to stop supporting it, and we cannot test every single plugin in every single way to make sure they work properly.
If they don't work, then make sure you know what your doing, the edit reason plugin does work i use it.
Plugins that haven't seen an update for one or two years could be moved to an Archive section or something. They shouldn't be removed, especially not if they're open source, so people can come and fix or rewrite them.
(2009-12-25, 06:55 PM)coolcos Wrote: [ -> ]I do understand the logistics of Mybboard.net not being able to check or verify plugins, etc.

There are many plugins submitted each day, and it would take too much time to check them all. I experience this first hand every day as I moderate a very large site that has download submissions every day, sometimes it is very hard to scan and decompile each one. Check the last time it was updated, and if it was a long time ago I would not download it if you do not have experience with mybb.
I too couldn't get that plugin to work as a fresh install of it so it isn't just you. Don'y get me wrong, I see your point, it'll just be very hard to test every plugin and every update... however it is a valid point so I'll try and think of a way we could do it. Sometimes a plugin is fine for ages and then breaks in an update and the author may be active but just have no idea it's broken.
Also i remember i had issues getting a hack to work when i first started. And just dropped it for a while. (That was what MyBB 1.4.4?) I tried it a while later, (1.4.8 i think) and it was completely working. I don't know what i was doing wrong, but sometimes they fix themselves Toungue
The "compatibility" flag in the plugin PHP file was perhaps not that well thought. You can have strings like "14*" referring to all 1.4.x, however if you developed the plugin at a certain time and can only confirm it working for 1.4.0 to 1.4.6, there's really no easy way to exclude future versions, such as 1.4.7.
I think this could potentially make things easier, as users can notice that a plugin is marked incompatible for newer MyBB versions, and the mods site may be able to grab this value (or when it's manually approved, the value is inserted) so that users can tell the compatibility of the plugin.
(2009-12-28, 09:43 AM)Yumi Wrote: [ -> ]The "compatibility" flag in the plugin PHP file was perhaps not that well thought. You can have strings like "14*" referring to all 1.4.x, however if you developed the plugin at a certain time and can only confirm it working for 1.4.0 to 1.4.6, there's really no easy way to exclude future versions, such as 1.4.7.
I think this could potentially make things easier, as users can notice that a plugin is marked incompatible for newer MyBB versions, and the mods site may be able to grab this value (or when it's manually approved, the value is inserted) so that users can tell the compatibility of the plugin.

This is incorrect.

From The Wiki:
Quote:he compatibility field tells MyBB which versions it will work on. This adds the ability to stop users from installing or running plugins that won't work with their versions of MyBB. This is in CSV format - for example "141,142,143" (MyBB 1.4.1, 1.4.2 and 1.4.3), "14*" (all versions of MyBB 1.4). Wildcards are supported.

However I do feel it should have the ability to parse things like:
1.4.9-12
Which would be 1.4.9 to 1.4.12

Oh well, maybe for 2.x series? If that isn't in the 1.6x anyways.
My mistake. Memory is a bit shabby I see. Thanks for the correction.